OT: Any Vegetarians on here?

jez-4-bikes-max":fxkrrmzk said:
Back on track:

I do miss eating a nice steak. Used to love that with peppercorn sauce and a load of watercress.

Conversely as a meat-eater the smell that could 'turn' me is mushrooms frying in butter, nothing is better than a fried mushroom sandwich (and that includes bacon) on a Saturday or Sunday morning

theboy":1o9n8eyc said:
i am a catering manager and dont and neevr have taken veggie as normal customers , more a pain inthe a**** .

kind of my point, and not unusual in the industry, luckily I am in a position to influence the menu in the restaurant, and in some way to educate the chefs. I dont know if meat eaters ever notice the difference, but I do know that the (increasingly large numbers of) vegetarians do.

all the veggie I cater for at the moment are unfit and have really unbalanced diet .

um, if you are catering for them, then you are providing their diet.

I meant that their choices is not what I call balanced . we have a salad bar and a hot section with vegetarian choices on both sides .

my wife is not veggie but she often chooses the veggie option , especially in nice restaurants as the dishes can be different .

quorn is disgusting , and eating too much of it can make allergic to it .

as for athletes being veggie they must take a lot of supplements like iron , so is swalloing pills better or worse ?

perry":vzr6xgc4 said:
what do you define as "unfit" and what are the great benefits of meat exactly ?

unfit ? overweight ( just by looking at them ) .

benefits of meat ? to me it tastes great and it is full of proteins . there are bad points too , like fat .

I am not against vegetarian , I just will never be one myself .

all this makes me hungry , a nice tin of foie gras on a warm toast is just what I need . ( with a glass of sauternes for carl ) . ;)

MadCowKev":wg7q22to said:
Great discussion going on. Is it true that most vegetarians miss bacon sandwiches most?

I'll be honest, when MrsNeilll has bacon it has started to smell kind of nice (not that i'd ever eat any mind you.....), you may have a point there mate :shock:

Me and her are complete opposites though so the Veggie/Carnivore thing falls into line with everything else... :?

Neill

15 years a Trade Butcher :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

----
Personally,i believe our diet should be balanced to include both meat[in all its *true*forms] and vegetables.
If you fixate on one or the other,only you'll run into health problems

As to the reasons for some people choosing only to eat veg being ethical ,i suppose only a Buddist could follow that path
and you start to differentiate between a cow and a fly,will you happily kill the fly?
Nobody's asking you to kill the cow either ,thats why these jobs are in areas where the public cannot enter +you have to be over 18 to work there
[though you can enter a battlefield @ 17 :? ]
-------------------------------------------------------
A Balance is Best
Sowrdfish is a good choice ,if you're the kind of ethical vegetarian that can eat fish :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Personaly speaking the fact that eating rotting animal flesh repulses me.

The ethical question doesn't realy come into it after a few years. The reasons i gave up are that i think killing animals for food is pointless.when we live in a world where we can replace all our vitamin and mineral needs in a far more humane way.
I am also well aware that i live in in the rich west and can choose how and what i eat.
The last thing before climbing off my high-horse, it takes eight pounds of grain to create one pound of beef!
Well at least the western world isn't starving, woohoo!!

Cheers,Al :D

balance is all well and good but tell that to all the animals that exist solely on not killing other animals :LOL:

simple fact is it isnt a necessity to eat meat

We eat meat because we CAN, it doesnt mean whether we SHOULD.

Its interesting to view the biological reasons why humans arent really supposed to eat meat - this really interested me as I researched all forms of evidence that made the subject even more interesting:

1) Our canine teeth are not "real canines" - these are designed for grabbing and tearing fruit. Proper 'carnivore canines' are vastly different: larger, sharper and are designed for tearing and grabbing flesh etc.

2) Our intestine tract is a complicated one. Its more akin to herbivores to that of a dog or typical meat eating animal. Meat in our intestine tract sits there for a good while longer (which is bad) wheras a carnivore tends to pass it through quicker.

3) Our jaws move sideways - akin to grazers and herbivores. carnivores cannot "chew" as such (to break down veg). Their mouths are built for tearing and biting.

4) Why cant humans eat raw meat? Funny that isnt it? We find it very difficult to digest meat as we dont have the chemical compositions in out stomachs to break it down enough. We have to cook everything to break down cells etc. Also the bacteria associated with uncooked meat is something humans cant deal with (whereas a dog etc = happy days)

5) Milk. Its designed for baby cows. Thats why the fat content is so HUUUGGEEE as its designed to keep cows growing in their infancy. This is why we have to do funky things to it to get it FAT free etc. doesnt seem very logical does it...

6) Protein. There is more protein in nuts, beans etc that you'd get from "plucked" sources than in meat. Meat is full of the animal fat (bad for you) and not the fat that is good for you.

7) This is interesting too:

The metaphor by Douglas Dunn is that if one gives a young child an apple and a live chicken, the child would instinctively play with the chicken and eat the apple, whereas if a cat were presented with the same choices, its natural impulse would be the opposite.

Anyway - good debate - keep it coming.

(Off for a bacon sandwich)

Back