Team Raleigh Dyna-Tech ex Adrian Timmis. Finished Project.

John":l5c9eeaw said:
That is really top class, one of the best projects I've seen here for a while. I trust you'll be throwing it in for BoTM.

How did you get hold of that bad boy?

It was on e-bay, went for a very reasonable price - I was tempted myself.

John":c98szid4 said:
That is really top class, one of the best projects I've seen here for a while. I trust you'll be throwing it in for BoTM.

How did you get hold of that bad boy?
Thanks everyone for there kind and encouraging words. I'm really enjoying this project even if my bank balance isn't. I will indeed enter the bike in BoTM at some stage, but will wait until it is as original as possible.

I got hold of the bike from ebay after a tip off in the 'ebay and marketplace thread' here. It cost me a very reasonable £362, which I thought was a bargain as I was willing to pay a good deal more, I guess with the 'credit crunch' a few things are going cheaper than expected.

As for early progress, I've ordered a few parts from SJS and CRC. I'm getting together my shopping list and will look for swaps once I receive Adrian's stash of retro goodies. The stem has already gone to a friends for chemical cleaning and powder coating, judging from his previous work this should come back mint.

Great bike and story, bit envious of the fun you are having finding the parts and getting it all back to as it was.

I only recently sold a USE Ti post which would have been ideal,sorry in hindsight

Looking forward to more pics and progress reports

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... god-attack

ODI Attack Grips (Tomac was just a branding thing).

Looking closely at your front mech. IT definatly should be about a 2mm gap. 46th being the standard ring on M900's and a 48 is not a problem (well other than, iirc, for the rear mech as it's medium cage and you'll get chain slack in small/small... but then again I ran 24 tooth front not the standard 26th.)

ANYWAYS, looks like you are using too long a Bottom Bracket, 107mm should be the correct length, it will being the low profile crank in further and you see the extra milling on the inner of the crank, that so it can go closer to the bottom bracket shells.
107 is the perfect chain line length btw, also bringing you top ring in closer and not causing so much stretch on the upwards pull.

Going through the list now

Sachs/Sedis chains ... next best thing would SRAM ones I guess.
Apart from the pile I have laying outside at the moment :(

UN-90 (or I think UN-91 in 1993) Bottom bracket are what you would really want 68x107mm

FluffyChicken":kzp0l9p3 said:
http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=hgod-attack

ODI Attack Grips (Tomac was just a branding thing).

Looking closely at your front mech. IT definatly should be about a 2mm gap. 46th being the standard ring on M900's and a 48 is not a problem (well other than, iirc, for the rear mech as it's medium cage and you'll get chain slack in small/small... but then again I ran 24 tooth front not the standard 26th.)

ANYWAYS, looks like you are using too long a Bottom Bracket, 107mm should be the correct length, it will being the low profile crank in further and you see the extra milling on the inner of the crank, that so it can go closer to the bottom bracket shells.
107 is the perfect chain line length btw, also bringing you top ring in closer and not causing so much stretch on the upwards pull.

Going through the list now

Sachs/Sedis chains ... next best thing would SRAM ones I guess.
Apart from the pile I have laying outside at the moment :(

UN-90 (or I think UN-91 in 1993) Bottom bracket are what you would really want 68x107mm

Thanks so much for that FluffyChicken, some really helpful stuff there. Think you've solved my front mech problem in one stroke. I had lowered the mech and repositioned it, but now I see the position of the adjustment bolts I sure you are correct about the BB and this will let me get back to the original gearing.

Thanks for the tip off on the grips too, i've just ordered a pair.

Hopefully it will help ;)

If someone has one lying around at 107 it would be good to test (unless you are buying a new Bottom Bracket anyway. UN-54 is just a new modern one an certainly not original, lol.

113 was an official length though and should work. It really should be able to work with the 48tooth (as I forgot the M900 crankshaft did come in two chain ring sizes 48/38/28 and 46/36/26.

Back