2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Re:

Thanks :) I'm actually really please with how it's come out looking - I prefer it in its new black & silver garb to the colour schemes available in the late 90s!

I took it out for a spin tonight after work. The weather was awful, but the alternative was sitting in traffic due to roadworks, so I thought I'd chance it. Went out for a lap of my usual after-work ride, a 50 minute-ish XC loop on the top of the Mendips.

I must confess I was slightly underwhelmed with how the bike rode when I took it out the other day on some flat easy trails. This ride fixed that :D

Started with a short sharp sod of a climb made up of loose sandy bits and fist sized rocks. I was really impressed with the amount of grip on the rear when climbing. It takes a bit of the finesse and line choice out of the climb (which I do quite enjoy), but point it uphill and pedal full blast and it doesn't half do the job. Bagged my first trig point on this bike a little further on at the top :)

On the way back down, I'd forgotten how much fun (and how flattering) full sus bikes can be. Bearing in mind I usually ride this loop on a rigid bike, I felt like a downhill pro today! Carrying that much more speed meant I took a few dodgy lines I'd normally avoid, but despite the slightly front heavy feeling while descending, the bike was very forgiving while I clunked my way through rocks and drops like a sack of spuds... err, downhill pro ;)

I'm especially impressed with the forks. They're only elastomer/spring jobbies with air/oil damping, but I didn't once miss my more modern rockshox revelations that grace my hardtail.

I also cleared one uber-rooty section of single track that I'd never managed before. Again, not much finesse involved on my part, but it still felt awesome :)

Looks like this one is going to be a keeper.

Attachments

• TrigPoint.jpg
    TrigPoint.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,349
  • MuddyGoodFun.jpg
    MuddyGoodFun.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,349
Re: Re:

davidj":28lm43k4 said:
Only problem with finishing a build is the build is finished. What next for you?

There speaks a man who knows!

I've done quite a few other builds this year - a SS hardtail (sold as in the end I much preferred my rigid SS), a BMX (sold as I felt like a pillock riding it), a rebuild of my tourer/commuter, and a jump bike (sold before I broke any bones - these days I prefer to keep both wheels on or at least near the ground).

The next project will be a strip down and re-paint of my "Sunday best" road bike, a 1960s Cinelli Riviera that used to belong to my father-in-law. It's a lovely bike and has sadly been stored in a damp shed for too long, so needs de-rusting in a couple of spots before a re-paint.

I think I've built and tried most of the bikes I've really wanted to own/ride now. The notable exception is a GT Zaskar, which I'd definitely jump at if a cheap frame in my size came up.

Haha, my projects all tend to be a bit rat-bikey. As well as being a stingy sod, if I built up anything too nice with lots of blingy parts I wouldn't enjoy riding it as much - I'd be too worried about dinging/wearing out all the kit!

I'm in awe of those on this forum who source all the period correct top end kit and produce some of the gorgeous BotM offerings (I do hope they all get ridden though, don't see the attraction of a garage queen myself).

Re:

When I said Rat Bikey I was referring to your assistant,Tyke, not the standard of your build.

I recommend you go for a modern 29er next, it really will turn all your preconceptions upside down. Weight is less of an issue,tyre selection is more of an issue. Geometry is all important (my first, early 29er, was awfull). 1x is the future and modern disc brakes are enlightening.

I have built up a 29er that is over spec for my need or ability. You are so right, I am now playing around with a 2003 Merlin I can leave anywhere and lean up against anything. Very refreshing, but the 29er kicks it into a cocked hat for rideability.

Re:

Aaah right - Tyke notes that the correct understanding of "ratty" as an adjective is "awesome" in any case.

I rode a charge cooker 29er, a 2014 model I think, for six months or so. At the time I didn't get on with it (was my first bike with 720mm handlebars, which took some getting used to), and I've always shied away from them since then.

I'd be curious to try a long/slack modern hardtail (27.5 or 29), but can't really justify it when I've already got a pretty nice modern-ish 26" hardtail. Maybe I'll have to rent one at a trail centre to see what I'm missing out on!

Re: Re:

davidj":26pcv8x0 said:
When I said Rat Bikey I was referring to your assistant,Tyke, not the standard of your build.

I recommend you go for a modern 29er next, it really will turn all your preconceptions upside down. Weight is less of an issue,tyre selection is more of an issue. Geometry is all important (my first, early 29er, was awfull). 1x is the future and modern disc brakes are enlightening.

I have built up a 29er that is over spec for my need or ability. You are so right, I am now playing around with a 2003 Merlin I can leave anywhere and lean up against anything. Very refreshing, but the 29er kicks it into a cocked hat for rideability.

Do you drive around classic car shows in a 2019 Ford Focus saying how 'driveable' it is?

Anyway, its all getting too black and white so heres my DH-FRS just so people dont think their computer monitor colour control is on the blink

discs to add later

Attachments

• marin.jpg
    marin.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,314
Anyway, These always benefited from better forks. Marzocchi Bombers are the best and most easily serviceable older fork

file.php

Re:

That DH FRS is lookin' good!

I'm actually really pleased with the performance of the RST Delta fork on this bike. I did see a good deal on a Marzocchi Bomber fork the other day and was tempted, but don't see any real need to swap (and I'd also want to know what the axle to crown measurement is before swapping, don't fancy raising that BB any higher than it already is!).

Went out again last night on a more challenging loop. There's a steep and tough climb to begin with... I don't always make it up in one go on my hard tail, and didn't manage it this time either. I think this was more to do with the seat height than anything else - I'd set it a bit lower than ideal climbing height as I wanted to see if I could cope with a fixed seat height around the whole loop (I've been spoiled by a dropper post on my hard tail!).

Despite the low-ish bars and long bar ends, the front end still felt a smidge wandery on the steepest bits of the climb. As I mentioned previously this bike does feel quite long, so I might move the saddle a little forward on the rails to see if this helps (wasn't in danger of losing traction on the rear so I can't see any real down side to doing this).

Bagged trig point #2 for this bike at the top:

Hurtling back down the other side put a big grin on my face :D With the seat relatively high I was pretty much hanging off the back and letting the bike do all the work. If dropper posts weren't so ludicrously expensive I'd love to put one on this bike... as it is, I think next time I ride this loop I'll put the seat right up for the climb and then adjust it right down for the descent.

For the rest of the ride along the Mendip scarp the bike was top notch.

Attachments

• Trigno2.jpg
    Trigno2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,288
  • TopoftheWorld.jpg
    TopoftheWorld.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,288
Back