Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re: my project Dynatech

Hi all,
I have dug out my project dynatech with the intention of trying to make it into a "gravel bike" or a drop bar XC bike if you prefer.
It has been sprayed by a previous owner. It looks like it was straight over the original finish and I am in a quandary whether to try and remove the paint and refinish the frame or leave it as a Rat bike dynatech??
Anyhow does anyone have any experience of stripping the paint off of on one of these frames? Heat and chemicals are out so I am considering a laborious rub down with abrasive papers. Can you suggest any cheap, less labourious methods??
Cheers Rich
PS I will try to post a pic of what I bought when I can create an image of the correct file size.

could you get it blasted? Deffo stay away from chemicals due to the bonding but I was told by a Raleigh guy that when they were painted they then went into an oven, so I've often wondered if heat could be used to remove the paint? Get some pics up to see what the finish is like at present...

Re:

Ok, here is it as purchased. I am currently in the process of stripping it down.
She's a beaut isn't she.

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_190058832_resize_4.jpg
    IMG_20190819_190058832_resize_4.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 943
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
One of a kind, I like how they recreated the original paint job but left some of the Ti showing. A bit overpriced though.

It doesn't have Ti chain stays, so it's not an Ogre / MT4 frame. It's most likely the normal M Trax Ti 1000 / 2000 / 3000 frame.

TOMAS":1iay0p4z said:
could you get it blasted? Deffo stay away from chemicals due to the bonding but I was told by a Raleigh guy that when they were painted they then went into an oven, so I've often wondered if heat could be used to remove the paint? Get some pics up to see what the finish is like at present...

Blasting, apparently, is also dangerous for the bonded Dynatech frames because the process can generate a fair bit of heat as well.

What I would try is masking very very well all the bonded joins, and carefully remove areas of the paint using paint stripper, but only on areas that are far from the bonds. Then sand off the paint near the bonds by hand.

Re:

If anyone hears of a Dynatech mtb in the 40cm frame that is available I'd be interested. Frame only, full bike, whatever...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Pics of my latest acquisition below. Apologies for the grime - it had been in a shed for several years, and I haven't had a chance to clean it yet.

I'm puzzled by the paint - frame number says it's '93 (D0412:cool:, and the stickers' presence suggest that the paint is original, but AFAIK the '93 range all had bare Ti tubes? That seatpost is a Dynatech branded one, so presumably it was originally bought as a complete bike.

Any ideas?

g2ECyiBl.jpg

ds18eLel.jpg

I have the same one, it's a 1993 M Trax 400. The top and down tubes are commercially pure titanium, the rear triangle and fork are cromoly, and the head tube is aluminium. It originally came with an Altus A10 drivetrain, diacompe 986 and SS5 brakes, and Deore DX thumbshifters.

Back