Campag 10 speed shifter problem

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My campag 10 speed chorus shifter has lost it's "click" when changing from the smallest sprocket to the next one up. All other shifts seem to be ok, and it drops down to smaller sprockets ok too. Does anyone know what the problem is likely to be, and if it's fixable if I can get the right part?

Graeme the Campag service centre guy for the UK posts here sometimes... if anyone will know...

That's usually a worn g spring and occasionally also a cracked spring carrier.

Parts are readily available and not too taxing to replace.

Re:

Ok, thanks. Will pull it apart and see if I can find the problem. Will download the service instructions, but us there anything I need to be aware of or do that isn't mentioned in them?

Not really. It's pretty simple to do.

The only step I occasionally find a bit fiddly is refitting the downshift button and it's return spring, but even that might only take a couple of tries to get right.

You can't really tell visually if the springs are worn, so I always replace them anyway on shifters I get from eBay.

The cracked carrier is obvious - it's usually the post that snaps.

Note that I have only ever had to replace the right lever parts. I have yet to find a left shifter that is sufficiently worn to lose its click.

A 4-pack of springs and a 5 pack of carriers will cost you around 20 quid. There's a seller on Amazon called Y frame discounts that usually sells them at the best price Inc postage. Places like GB Cycles will sell you them individually if you want to do it that way.

The part numbers you need are EC-RE209 & EC-RE211.

I buy mine in bulk now as I've decided I want my 10 speed fleet to last forever lol.

Agreed, not difficult to do the G-springs with practice.

One trick at the assembly stage is to use a card (something like a business card) to slot a couple of bits together and hold the thumb lever spring in place. It's the moment when a third hand is useful. You will know when you see it, have one ready!

Back