Dave Lloyd Frame Register

Re:

It is a Road frame made for Derek Dare (Dan's brother?) and it is constructed from Columbus SLX... very cool. :cool:

Re:Dave Lloyd frame

Hi , I have a Dave Lloyd steel Reynolds 531 tubing frame
It’s number is 244.
Can you give me some more details about the bike?
Thanks
Andy

Re:

Hi Andy,

Is it an older frame? The reason I ask is that 244 is too short a number, it should be something like LL94966.

The LL part can be confusing as it often looks like 77 upside down, which it probably is.

Dave was building bikes and selling then before he started building his own frames in 1988. I have a couple here both from the early to mid 1970's.

These frames tend to have shorter numbers and never have the LL prefix, I don't know who made them, I asked the guys at Argos in Bristol as I was told they made frames for Dave, but they told me they only made racing frames for Dave himself, not frames for him to sell. I am sure someone knows where the frames came from and certainly the two I have are very well made... just not by Dave.

Hi @fitton / Andy

Any pics? I'm sort of 1970's so might recognise it if it's from that era . Might have to post 5 times to post pics..

Re: Dave Lloyd frame

Hi, it is named a Dave Lloyd frame and it is number 244.
I bought it around 1980 from Dave’s shop in
Birkenhead.
It probably was made by another frame builder as you
say.
Have you an idea as to it’s worth ?
Andy

Worth depends on demand, condition and design. Pics would be nice :). Wouldn't be surprised if it came via Mike Kowal..... had fingers in lots of pies around that time.

I've sent a couple of PMs to NeilM and also Humdinger79 who posted images of a frameset he had recovered from a tip. The posts were dated around October 2018 (Page 6/7) of this thread. I am the 'Andi' named on the red and blue Dave Lloyd frameset. The frame was my TT bike, purchased around 1980 from Dave Lloyds 'Boutique Bike Shop' having been measured up on his frame fitting jig. The place was reminiscent of a hairdressing salon from memory and it was way before he moved his operation to a lock up in a commercial premises. For your info, the frame was originally white with black decals, repainted a couple of years later to match Dave's bike when he joined Manchester Wheelers. There is a back history on this frame and to this day I still hold my old club record for 30 miles which was done on this frame. Andy. smithy@f2s.com

Re:

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the PM and the back story, I wish we had this kind of information on all our lovely Lloyds, what an archive that would make.

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply. Jake who rescued the frame has been in touch and I have sent him some further background on the bike. An older chap at my cycling club took me over to Dave's shop as he already had two bikes from him. It nearly broke the bank for me as I was about 17 at the time. I tested regularly on the frame breaking the hour (58.04) for the first time on the L253 at Brock, just North of Preston. The bike consisted of the bare essentials, including a concealed bolt Cinelli XA stem and bars, Weinmann 500 brake calipers, quills hacksawed off the pedals and 175mm cranks with a 53 or 56 ring (when on the O2 or V courses in Yorkshire). Wheelset was Mavic GP4 28s on Royce Racing Hubs and I ran Wolber Piste tyres which I regularly loaded upto about 160psi - the went with a rather loud bang on occasion! The frame appears to have been built before your handbook started. I don't think Dave was making the frames himself at that time. The delivery time was quite lengthy and I often wondered who the original builder was. I noticed mention of Mike Kowal... on one post and his name sounds familiar. I also wondered if another bike was building them for Dave - I have vague memories of a company beginning with 'A' - but can't recall the name at present. The Lloyds from that era were pretty exotic and he had a bias towards Columbus tubing when I paid out my hard-earned cash for the huge frame Dave suggested. However, having achieved a 20:21 for 10, 52:06 for 25 he must have got something right! Finish was immaculate and I guess it was stripped right back from the original white prior to the new colourscheme you can see today. Jake has asked if I am interested in purchasing it back off him. As mentioned I have sent him a message and asked what he would be looking for. It would be nice to get it back as after almost 40 years it came as a bit of a shock for me to stumble on the photos.

Re:

The A you are looking for may be Argos Racing in Bristol, but I have spoken to them and they said that they only ever made frames for Dave himself to race.

Argos have repainted two of my Lloyd frames, and repaired one of them so I have had a good chance to chat with them about Dave.

It is a great shame and or a delight that Dave's frames, either made for or by him have no great value, a shame because they are all very good and therefore should be worth sensible money and a delight as it gives people like me the opportunity to buy ...erm, several... OK nine, eight of which I still own and six of those are complete rideable bikes, that are all ridden from time to time.

The frame register starts in 1988 and runs to 1999.

Back