Turning an Orange P7 into a drop-bar ‘gravel’ bike

Re: Considering building an Orange P7 drop-bar gravel bike?

The stem felt possibly a little too long while I was scooting around the courtyard. Didn’t get much of a chance to think on it as I was heading towards the barn at a rate of knots. No brakes and only flip flops to slow me down :shock: . I’m way too old to be this stupid :facepalm:

Re: Considering building an Orange P7 drop-bar gravel bike?

It’s been raining, so decided to refresh my slightly shabby OnZa Chill Pills. Now with matching orange logos!

Before:
n4wzlc4.jpg

And after:
2Kb3PNv.jpg

Now, when it stops raining, I’ll get them fitted.

Re:

You need a much shorter stem

Mistake I see lots on here with fitting drops

The hand position on the Hoods should match what the original flat bar parts gave or you will be too stretched

Also you will likely want the bars higher so you can use the drops

A short high stem needed

Re: Re:

was8v":23kvj1ee said:
You need a much shorter stem

Mistake I see lots on here with fitting drops

The hand position on the Hoods should match what the original flat bar parts gave or you will be too stretched

Also you will likely want the bars higher so you can use the drops

A short high stem needed
You were absolutely spot on!

Fortunately I had a random no brand short high 1” Ahead stem lying around. Unfortunately the F7 forks I planned to use were threaded. Fortunately I also had another set of F7s I was gone to use on Mrs R’s P7 with the right length Ahead steerer. Additional positive: the headset lower race issues I was having would disappear too.

All fitted and much easier to ride. The lovely but long Orange SK8 stem was just too twitchy. Photos coming up...

Re:

Looking forward to the photo update :)
I think you partly inspired me to convert one of my retro mtb's to drop bars too :D

Had a few busy weekends and not much time to get the Orange P7 gravel/drop bar bike finished. Finally got it done after a last minute stem/fork/headset change. Now handles nicely and the gears are working really well. Braking not much to write home about, but that could just be the old XT pads needing some sanding.

Here’s a photo of the completed bike (with the saddle a little low still). A fine looking beast, IMHO!

euPyl3F.jpg

The only problem now is that the weather is so sh!te in Cornwall, I’ve not had a chance to ride it! First ride report coming the moment it stops raining and/or blowing a gale!

Build spec list will be along shortly...

Right, spec sheet time...

• Frame: 1995 17.5" nickel plated Orange Series 8 P7
  • Fork: Orange F7, Ahead
  • Headset: Tange Ahead
  • Stem: Unknown, says 'Art' on the transfer
  • Handlebar: Nitto B
  • Grips: Planet X 'vegan' (?!!) vintage leather look bar tape
  • Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M737 cantis
  • Brake Pads: Shimano Deore XT cartridge cant pads
  • Brake Cables: Jagwire orange
  • Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills with custom orange logos
  • Brake Levers: Shimano 105 STI (ST-5510)
  • Shifters: Shimano 105 STI (ST-5510) 9 speed
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M737 top pull
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M739 long cage
  • Derailleur Cables: Jagwire orange
  • Cassette: SRAM PG980 9 speed 11-34T
  • Chain: KMC X9-73
  • Cranks: White Industries by Sugino
  • Crank Bolts: Shimano
  • Chainrings:
  • Chainring bolts:
  • Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN-51
  • Pedals: Shimano M520 SPD
  • Hub Skewers: X-Lite Camlock, silver
  • Rims: Mavic M231
  • Hubs: Shimano Deore XT M737
  • Nipples: brass, DT?
  • Spokes: 14/15G DT double butted
  • Tyres: Schwalbe Road Cruiser tan wall
  • Tubes: Whatever spares I had lying around!
  • Saddle: Holdsworth Gran Sport 'vegan' leather, brown.
  • Seatpost: Orange
  • Seatpost Binder: Orange P7 standard
  • Weight: TBD

I dont like it...

I love it!

Except the tyres.

I have a nickel plated frame and fork to fart around with, I'll see what I can do in a build thread - there may be real leather involved

legrandefromage":1mijsgkv said:
Except the tyres.
Yeah, they’re not quite as gravely as I’d like, and a little too beige on the sidewall. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much choice on tan wall 26” gravel tyres that have the added benefit of being dirt cheap!

legrandefromage":1mijsgkv said:
I have a nickel plated frame and fork to fart around with, I'll see what I can do in a build thread - there may be real leather involved
I look forward to seeing that. Real leather seems to be much more expensive than the ‘vegan’ stuff. I’m sure that used to just be ‘leatherette’ or ‘leather effect’ BITD. I blame the Millennials...

Back