Prescription cycling Sunglasses - any experience ??

I've got the Adidas elevation sunglasses and they're brilliant. Most sunglasses companies will only do prescription lenses up to +/- 4. Adidas were able to deal with my -10 prescription. I know I can't see beyond the end of my nose...........

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/AdidasElevationClimaCool.asp

the glasses were about £120 (incl dark and orange lens) + £28 for the insert for the prescription lenses and then another £150 (ouch!) for the lenses. The optician I used was great and experience has shown most are pretty rubbish at dealing with sunglasses and my prescription
Only real downside at my level of short-sightedness is I lose some peripheral vision but you soon compensate so I use these quite happily biking, skiing etc.

I use some I got from Optilabs with "reactolight" lenses. I never need to change the lenses. They are clear in dark conditions and dark in bright conditions. They even change (just about) quickly enough for when a ride goeds from bright sunlight into a shady wood. Love 'em.

Bishopsfinger":34yfv7d2 said:
I've got the Adidas elevation sunglasses and they're brilliant. Most sunglasses companies will only do prescription lenses up to +/- 4. Adidas were able to deal with my -10 prescription. I know I can't see beyond the end of my nose...........

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/AdidasElevationClimaCool.asp

the glasses were about £120 (incl dark and orange lens) + £28 for the insert for the prescription lenses and then another £150 (ouch!) for the lenses. The optician I used was great and experience has shown most are pretty rubbish at dealing with sunglasses and my prescription
Only real downside at my level of short-sightedness is I lose some peripheral vision but you soon compensate so I use these quite happily biking, skiing etc.

I'll second the Elevations. Best thing is the prescription is a seperate clip in so on the occasions you do want to wear contacts you an simply clip the prescription out. Also you can change the main non prescription lenses from clear, orange right through to glacier rated lenses. There's a foam clip-on surround and arms can be replaced with an elastic strap to turn them into light goggles

My prescription was half the price of Bishopsfinger's and I bought from the same place, but then my lenses are nowhere near -10 and I got them about 2 1/2 years ago.

Very pricey but solves all problems that would niggle at me with other glasses. Worth the cost.

D_XZ":xrye2eq9 said:
I'll second the Elevations. Best thing is the prescription is a seperate clip in so on the occasions you do want to wear contacts you an simply clip the prescription out. Also you can change the main non prescription lenses from clear, orange right through to glacier rated lenses. There's a foam clip-on surround and arms can be replaced with an elastic strap to turn them into light goggles

My prescription was half the price of Bishopsfinger's and I bought from the same place, but then my lenses are nowhere near -10 and I got them about 2 1/2 years ago.

Very pricey but solves all problems that would niggle at me with other glasses. Worth the cost.
I should also add I bought mine about 4 years ago now and still going strong (prices may be a little out).
Cheers D_XZ for pointing out all the other extra features - they really are great all round glasses/goggles
I do get some strange looks when I wear them with a clear or orange lens as you can see the insert so they do look a bit space age! Must try and find a pic.................no, maybe not

you can have Rx lenses fitted to just about any frame. i do it all the time. $50 discount non-Rx glasses bought just for the frame, instead of $200 frames at the optometrist.

only time i had a problem was with a set that were severely wrap-around...the Rx lenses couldn't be fitted to the significant curve of the frame.

Prescription Sunglasses

Also got the Addidas Elevations - top bit of kit as everyone has spoken of.

I got them for driving a completely open car (no windscreen, nothing) and with the foam insert they have been fine up to three figures. Have hit bees doing 70mph + and the remants just wipe off the lenses :eek:

They'll be great for skiing with the strap replacing the arms, should we ever get any snow this winter.

Price last year was a but more than Bishopsfinger (£137 I think) with the insert being about the same (i.e £28 ) and the lenses to go into it a shade under £100. This is for toric lenses but not as strong as Bishopsfinger's.

Back