Absolutely Cone Nuts Situation!

Paddler

Dirt Disciple
Hello there...

Okay I've not posted a lot ,forgive me.

I recently got a 2019 Giant Fathom 2 ... Dont worry my old bike still get abused.
Anyway checking the Giants rear axle bearing found they felt crunchy and had self tightened on the cassette side :(

So I stripped out the axle to find that the cone nut bearing surfaces on both sides had sustained some pitting... The races are fine in the hub ...phew.
So I thought I'd order some new cone nuts... ( now I can hear some of you chuckling already) ... I found frustratingly that I have to order the whole axle @£16 ! :(
Then my mate at the bike shop rings me "They don't do the axles mate!, you can only buy a complete rear hub @£50 !!"

Jesus £50 for two cone bearing nuts!

Anyway Giant I hope are going to do it under warranty .

Trek and Specialized are the same I understand, they just don't do spares! I spoke to a Trek mechanic today and he said hes chucked near new wheels away for the sake of one component!

I long for the old days when you could rummage around the workshop and have a couple of nuts for a quid or donation in the charity box.

Wrant over....cheeers ;)

Have you tried taking the nut anywhere to match it up?

Not as yet... it has a couple of facets machined on the side to allow dust cover to fit between the lock nut and cone nut.
Problem is they are on the larger axle 14 mm? I ain't measured it yet, its one of them boost units... it's early days if I can get the new axle for free then I will.

At under a year old, they surely must replace parts like that under warranty. Its not like tyres or brake pads.

Supratada":1lxxuztw said:
At under a year old, they surely must replace parts like that under warranty. Its not like tyres or brake pads.

Yep ...that I think is going to happen now...

I'm still living in the days where you would just pick up a couple of nuts and do it yourself... a couple of quid and 15 minutes fitting ....doh.

My post was more a rant about the industry making old fashioned self maintenance on new kit difficult or near impossible.

Update: Giant are stepping up and doing it under warranty...

The crazy bit... They are sending me a complete new rear wheel foc .......

For two cone nuts!!

I do rather like my new Giant though... ;)

d871630653eae267252a13e199da85a0.jpg

Paddler":3haep6du said:

For two cone nuts!!
Often happens. It’s a weird mix of hard economics and fear of litigation.

Supratada":2yj61ael said:
Paddler":2yj61ael said:

For two cone nuts!!
Often happens. It’s a weird mix of hard economics and fear of litigation.
It's a shame in an industry that strives to be 'green' ...a throw away approach like this...

I hope to buy my old wheel...spare rim ,free-hub etc etc...

Anyway, my Fathom had its uses at the moment its a £1000 clothes rack

A good use for these mahoosive bars! ;)

5a8cd9a20a46206f584fe47bf98be12e.jpg

Latest posts

Back