Do you only ride retro?

Do you own a modern bike?

• No way! Modern stuff is wierd, retro only here!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course, retro stuff is what garages are made for!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm with Gump and Scant on this one. I lurve my old rides, they look nice and they still ride well. I think that riding a rigid bike with canti's hones my skills as I have to think about what I'm doing more, brake earlier, choose cleaner lines etc.

My modern bike (hardtail) is fantastic. It rides smoother, stops faster, climbs better, descends better, it's more forgiving when I choose bad lines and it stops me with more urgency when I'm heading for the edge of the cliff :)

I too agree with Scant,Gump,Russell on this one!! Retro bikes look bloody great, but they just keep reminding me where it all started.
For me, and probably most of you guys the mid to late 80's is when it all began. Bombing about on rigid bikes was the norm, however when i try it now, i end up with aches and pains :cry: and im not sure my spine could sustain anything too hard.
I'm just thankful for suspension :D Without it i would probably have had to give up biking.
Anyway because of this site, reading/buying/building its fast becoming
a passion!!
Retro=Hobby
Modern=exercise

Hmmm... I guess my issues are that a: I can't justify the folding for a decent new bike, & b: my bikes are a lot less retro than some!

My 856 for example has 9 speed XT & maguras, & will probably get some modern forks if I can't find a decent shock for the Vector... The Trekker's my only fully rigid steed & that'll probably only get road use when it's ready :?

I'm always 11 hours late on these posts! A flat planet would make it easier.. But then I'd be a roadie.. Hmm.. I digress..

Anyways, I'm comin off the FS Wagon and selling the Uzzi at the moment [albeit not a very concerted effort..].. I love this bike I really do, it rides sweet as and Modern gear obviously has years of R&D behind it, year after year it gets smoother, lighter and more durable.. Suspension now is awesome, the action on my Rebas compared to the Mags is, well, incomparable :p

But the Bont scares me more when I know I'm going too fast for a technical downhill section :D

Attachments

• Uzzi.jpg
    Uzzi.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 2,068
You forgot the third option.

Sometimes.

I see my retro bikes simply as other bikes I own. I'm as likely to pull out one of my old school bikes for a ride as one of my newer ones.

Things in life are rarely as black and white :!:

John":14t0l7ad said:
You forgot the third option.

Sometimes.

I see my retro bikes simply as other bikes I own. I'm as likely to pull out one of my old school bikes for a ride as one of my newer ones.

Things in life are rarely as black and white :!:

Actually John I was wondering how many of us only had retro bikes, it's not an idealogical test and I certainly don't feel that you must be 'retro only' or that owning a modern bike makes you less pure than those of us who don't. Far from it.

Nothing wrong about riding a retrobike.

The bike doesnt automatically pass its sell by date and cease to be ridden just cos its 10 years old.

Its more to do with the fact that chances are, you wouldnt be able to replace it if something wore out/broke etc.

:cry:

jez-2-many-bikes":1vi93z2w said:
The bike doesnt automatically pass its sell by date and cease to be ridden just cos its 10 years old.

Agreed. It's a sad indigtment of our modern society that items are seen as being worthless and useless after a few years.

uurrr, wise words mate ;)

Know what you mean though, everythings disposable these days :(
Consumerism gone nuts

Latest posts

Back