Today's Ride

Re: Re:

mk one":sdys7ipd said:
Great colours on that frame Pip, i would have to de-sticker the rims though if it were mine :) and how was the ride, on probably one of your most rigid frames :shock: oh, and that seatpost looks back to normal height too.

Mark
The Kona blurb on this Scandium frame claims that the tubes have been enhanced and manipulated to be more complaint than Aluminium. As I barely top 9 1/2 Stone, even after a good meal, I seem to get pinged out of the saddle more frequently than other more robust riders would experience. Consequently, my little backside doesn't get pounded quite so much, which may explain why I feel so at home on frames like this.

Yes the Seatpost is back to my normal riding position without causing any issues :D .

Pip

Warm today.

Went for a long ride as i havent been out for a while, it was easy going tracks so covered a good distance. Really nice day and quite a few other people out enjoying it also, including a couple on uni-cycles :)

Didnt stop much so not many pics, but great ride.

Attachments

• P1011275 (Medium).JPG
    P1011275 (Medium).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 515
  • P1011273 (Medium).JPG
    P1011273 (Medium).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 515
  • P1011270 (Medium).JPG
    P1011270 (Medium).JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 515
  • P1011268 (Medium).JPG
    P1011268 (Medium).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 515
Warm today

Went exploring through some woods as couldnt remember them. I knew where i was when i came out at a road and it turns out i have been through them before but only once or twice and many many years ago, so a proper little adventure, which is rare round these parts for me. I was trying to get to a hill i had seen earlier from afar, didnt have a clue what it was so am going to look on a map in a bit. Couldnt find it for some strange reason, in a land where everything is flat i managed to loose a prominent hill :facepalm:

Very long ride but made easier by not knowing where i was going so didnt know how long it would be :D

Great day and ride.

Attachments

• P1011291 (Medium).JPG
    P1011291 (Medium).JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 491
  • P1011282 (Medium).JPG
    P1011282 (Medium).JPG
    123 KB · Views: 491
  • P1011281 (Medium).JPG
    P1011281 (Medium).JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 491
Very warm today

Just another short ride as i was dog sitting again. Rode to and arouind the base of the hill thats the highest point in Nottinghamshire. There is a lake/pond that no one goes to as it is tucked away down a track off the main one, so really peaceful. Sat there for a bit watching Dragonflys, im sure they are getting bigger, then a steep climb, had to walk the last bit, and then a really nice ride back which is mostly slightly down so can stay in higher gear most the way.

Great little ride.

Attachments

• P1011297 (Medium).JPG
    P1011297 (Medium).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 471
  • P1011296 (Medium).JPG
    P1011296 (Medium).JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 471
  • P1011294 (Medium).JPG
    P1011294 (Medium).JPG
    155 KB · Views: 471
Re:

It was a year ago nearly to the day when I was last here in Malvern, and on a similar mission. I had already figured out that a ride to the top of the Worcestershire Beacon would be beyond me at the moment, so I had decided that a climb up to Lady Howard de Walden Drive would be ample for today.

Once again I started at the North Quarry Car Park, known locally as the Clocktower Car Park, because of the quirky Clocktower just along the road that houses one of the Malvern Wells.

Clocktower Well 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

As you can see, I had decided that I should take the 1997 Kona King Kahuna Stars ‘n’ Bars for this week’s ride on the Hills. So off we go :D .

Clocktower Carpark 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

First stop on the grassy knoll above St Anne’s Well. This is looking East across the River Severn floodplain.

Above St Annes Well View 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

And that is sort of the direction where I am heading to.

Above St Annes Well Up 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is the slow drag parallel with Green Valley up to Lady Howard de Walden Drive, which is somewhat unforgiving. This picture doesn’t really demonstrate how hectic the climb is.

Para to Green Valley 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

North Hill rising up the left, and a lovely glimpse of the outskirts of Malvern.

Lady Howard Dr View 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Made it up to Lady Howard de Walden Drive, which you can also make out circumventing North Hill behind me. A local walker offered to take a picture as I was trying to set my camera up on its little foot on the opposite bank.

Lady H Dr Pip 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is the final ascent to the Beacon that I will save for another day. I have been told in no uncertain terms, that I should still be taking things easy.

Worsc View 110819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

Second day on the Hills, and I thought that would start the day a little off the beaten track.

I cycled round to West Malvern, where the locals could be described as even more eccentric than in Great Malvern :? . Nigel Kennedy had a house here, and you could hear him practicing in the garden sometimes. One of my sister’s former pupils used to baby sit for him. Apparently the house could be described artistically chaotic – a bit like Nigel. She told me that the living room had Sheet Music strewn everywhere, and various violins (that cost a lot), and Pizza delivery boxes scattered about, and this baby crawling around amongst it all!

Anyway, the first picture is on the very Northern tip of the hills. This was taken on the rather unimaginatively named End Hill, but you get a great view looking across Worcestershire into Shropshire.

From End Hill 120819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Some of the tracks that you have seen so far are well established, but I spotted a cyclist crashing through the bracken below me, so thought I better investigate. My shoes ended up soaking wet after a few minutes :roll: .

End Hill East 120819 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

I eventually came out onto the Northern stretch of Lady Howard De Walden Drive, and a walker took a picture for me.

Lady Howard Dr North 120819_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

When you look down at Great Malvern from here, it looks like a model village. The neat grass area is Malvern Link Common, and the Morgan Sports Car Factory can be seen in the middle distance.

Link Common from Ldy H Dr by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is the Drive looking due South, with a view of the Worcestershire Beacon. You can just make out the Queen Victoria Jubilee Memorial at the very top. Once again I decided that I should leave this climb for now – maybe tomorrow on my 61st birthday :shock: .

Worsc Beacon fm Lady H Dr by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Happy birthday for tomorrow Pip, 61 :shock: i hope im still that fit when i get there :)

Big views too, especially with it being flat, and you should get to the Morgan factory on your birthday for a test drive :cool:

Latest posts

Back