1990 Saracen Traverse

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
You know that moment when you're mindlessly trawling through the hoards and hoards of adverts on facebook marketplace for Apollos, Ammacos, Carreras and all manner of other shite bikes and then something peaks your attention....a bad advert with a small pic for a "Woman bike".

Amberwall tyres, purple colourscheme, 90's graphics......looked a bit like "Saracen" wording on the downtube. The guy didn't want to get it out the shed and send me any more pics so I took a punt and drove up the road to go have a look.

Turns out to be a 1990 Saracen Traverse in lovely condition.....and in a size that suits me too.
Not sure how original it is.....all the bits are period correct it just doesn't seem to match up with the catalogue spec (not that I'm that bothered).

Black Deore cranks with biopace rings, Deore rear mech, Deore DX shifters, LX hubs and front mech. Wolber Saracen branded rims and Panaracer Duster tyres in great condition. Handlebars have been cut I think - they seem quite narrow....seatpost is free to move too - which is good as it was as low in the frame as it could go and I couldn't check it was free before buying.....

Took off a little bit of tat (pump, bar ends, fat saddle and a cheap bottle cage).....chucked a Flite saddle on it.

Looking forward to stripping it down, deep clean, service, set up and hitting the trails on this soon........she's a keeper.

MKtZCppl.jpg

zwMivjJl.jpg

nlEUsGxl.jpg

K8uVszsl.jpg

7z10TAkl.jpg

eXA6VMDl.jpg

hICxTVfl.jpg

CDtCjFcl.jpg

9bggajvl.jpg

znvqwful.jpg

63VHl52l.jpg

Nice!

I have a full width set of Saracen bars the same as these if you want them (postage will be about £6 at a guess)

But...

A woman's bicycle you say?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfW9znJYjw[/youtube]

Re:

Excellent, a bargain I reckon! Will clean up very nicely. It's inspiring me to crack on with the Kili I have.

Once again paint and decals look to be in amazing shape. Saracen really were a cut above with frame finish at that time IMO :cool:

Re:

legrandefromage":3a4uosyr said:
Nice!

I have a full width set of Saracen bars the same as these if you want them (postage will be about £6 at a guess)

Oooo.....yeah that'd be good. I'll PM you later (love the Blackadder clip......quality)

Once A Hero":3a4uosyr said:
Very cool score :cool:

Matching pedals available here ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=398202

Haha.....this is usually the way it goes with my projects.....buy a cheap bike then spend a fortune buying all the original bits for it!

mynchiboy":3a4uosyr said:
Excellent, a bargain I reckon! Will clean up very nicely. It's inspiring me to crack on with the Kili I have.

Once again paint and decals look to be in amazing shape. Saracen really were a cut above with frame finish at that time IMO :cool:

It's surprisingly good....just a bit of tin-worm around the bottom bracket but nothing major. I did wonder if it was a Kili at one point the advert pics were that bad.

Ghosty":3a4uosyr said:
Score! That's in fantastic condition for the price.

Love finding bikes that are nearly 30 years old and look like they've hardly been ridden!

Graham_hkr":3a4uosyr said:
Very nice, looking forward to the restoration work to begin... :cool:

Got a GT Tequesta to finish first.....then I'll start stripping it down. Looking forward to making this shine again! Watch this space...... :)

Absolutely awesome - was my first proper MTB :cool:

Sadly when I went away overseas my mum gave it away to a fat builder who asked if he could have it to lose some weight!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :twisted: :cool:

I have no idea what happened to the bike but the aforementioned builder is still a fat c....

Back