Raleigh Competition 12 1982 - original condition

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

For sale is my 1982 Raleigh Competition 12.

JhTZvv9l.jpg

60cm frame (I think - will double check and confirm)

Campag Nuovo Gran Sport front and rear derailleurs and shifters.
Normandy low flange front and rear hubs.
Weinmann brakes
Weinmann rims
Reynolds 531 tubing

In very good, very original condition. Only things non-original is bar tape (velox brown cotton) the toe straps (Christophe) and the tyres.

Maintains nice original features - the suede saddle, Weinmann rubber brake hoods, original chain even!

Bought a few years ago as a "barn find", it really hasn't had a lot of use over the years. I've completely stripped everything down, cleaned, regreased and serviced. It rides really well....

Original catalog entries:

f0Q4MWBl.jpg

vebT7oXl.jpg

£275 ono

Collection from Southend, Essex, Can courier at a cost of £20.

Will update with more photos later.....any q's - drop me a message.

Reviving an old fs thread.

Dug this out of the shed and recommissioned so it's back up for sale.

gYGIXmfl.jpg
wy2h6Mml.jpg

BBFklV8l.jpg
dgjvLZGl.jpg

5hyFYdkl.jpg
Ahc5SK3l.jpg

85yjpBsl.jpg
g74jPX8l.jpg

xbyiZCSl.jpg
pCLgFMJl.jpg

iCnP4yZl.jpg

Raleigh Competition Road bike from 1982

60cm/23 1/2" frame in Polar White

Reynolds 531 fork blades, stays and butted main tubes

Completely original spec:
Campagnolo Gran Sport Nuovo front and rear derailleur and downtube shifters
Weinmann rims on Normandy low-flange hubs
Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel
Schwalbe Lugano tan wall tyres (less than 100 miles on these)
Sakae Super custom cranks with 52t/42t rings
Sakae Laprade fluted seat post
Weinmann brake levers incl original rubber hoods
Weinmann 605 caliper brakes
Sakae Road Custom bars
Tressorex brown cotton bar wrap
Sakae SP-150 pedals
Suntour Ultra 6 Chain (shows how much this bike has been used - still has the original chain!)

Rescued from a shed a few years ago it was clear this bike had hardly been used. I completely stripped it down (even had the freewheel apart and the derailleurs completely dismantled), frame cleaned, polished and waxed, everything re-lubed, fresh bearings, reassembled and set up.

Have done minimal mileage on it since as it doesn't quite fit me (close but not quite.....6ft2" with long legs I can ride it with a longer seatpost but I want to be 100% comfortable - so it's got to go sadly).

Full rebuild photos available too - will compile those and send with the bike.

Bad bits: Seatstays have some bad scratching (worst side shown) - I've made no effort to hide this and I'm sure the visual impact could be reduced with touch up.
Spokes are a bit tarnished - they're supposedly "rustless" - but I've had to clean them up as they were quite ginger. Ideally, if I was keeping the bike I'd swap these out for stainless. Some light scratches and stone chips commensurate with age. Original Suede saddle has a few minor scuffs/tears

All in all a lovely light 80's racer in as close to original condition as you're going to find. This deserves to be be ridden and enjoyed. It rides like a new bike and I'm really sad to be selling it.

£250 Collection Southend, Essex or can box and courier via PaisleyFreight for £35 with appropriate insurance to the bike value.

Back