Post Mayhem blues ride, AFTERMATH

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Had a cracking ride today with Tim75 and Gerard turning up, having come here all the way from Suffolk, when others more local . . . . . . I need say no more. :roll:

Having met at Shoreham, we rode past Lancing college, steadily climbing in a northerly direction, to see the poppy fields at the top. Along the bridleway we went, climbing to the top of Steyning Bowl, taking in the great view from the top, before hitting my favourite bit of singletrack.
Gerard was liking it so much, he thought it would be a good idea to roll around in it. Bizarre!
After which, we headed west on the South Downs Way. Then just before Chanctonbury Ring, we dropped down a nice long descent, towards Wiston. Onto the road and to the crossroads at the bottom. Where we were greeted with a Road Closed sign. But I made it clear, nothing keeps me away from cake, and our first stop was about a mile past the sign! So up the path we went, along a nice quiet , traffic free road and into the café/nursery. Having done a loop around the plants for sale, I thought we'd get cake! :LOL:
Judging by the bikes there, it looked to be a good, if new, alternative to the usual cake stops.
Coffee/tea and cake consumed, we trundled on into Ashington.
Along a few bridleways and short, quiet stretches of road, we got to the foot of the downs, and had no choice but to go up to the top somehow. So a slow grind was , er , ground, and we got to the top, above Sullington and admired the view. Looking towards the north downs, Bignor, and the coast. Dropping down again, we hit a nice bit of singletrack before getting to a private school. Windlesham, where we took a slightly illegal detour to get on the road to go back over the A24. Another opportunity for Gerard to roll around like a dog, well, if it makes him happy! :roll:
Funny folk from East Anglia. :shock:

Then we had a gentle but long climb, back up to Chanctonbury hill, and onto a new trail, that I've not used on a retro ride before. The lion trail as it's called, is a long, fairly rooty descent, with man made jumps, and chicken runs that drops down into Steyning. We all enjoyed it I think, with Tim taking some bark home as a souvenir at one point apparently! :LOL:

After which it was (late) lunchtime! Around 2.30-ish is pretty late, and of the cafes on offer, I think we chose the worst, with the most expensive food, bad service, sorry lads. Another lesson learnt! Sussex Produce we can do without in future!
Then we just had a nice flat trundle back to the start point, along the Downs Link, and a small exchange of tat.

I really enjoyed the ride, and the company, hope you both did too.

I've got a road ride in a fortnight, after which, I'm going to see when I can fit in another mtb ride.

Owing to my phones internal storage issues, photos from me are few, but here they are.

IMG_6261 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Gerards lovely Endorphin. I really like this bike. I've got two already, but I like the colour of his! :LOL:

IMG_6262 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Tim's lovely old Univega, which wouldn't have looked out of place at Pride yesterday :LOL: :LOL:

IMG_6263 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

And my offering to the retro gods.

IMG_6264 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Quick stop to, er, admire the bikes!

IMG_6266 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Lunch stop lean!

Mike

Re:

Mike
Just got back. Great day. Really ended it.
Highlights for me were:
No wet, sketchy chalk....but didnkt stop me coming off my bike 3 times...bloody roots!
Not walking up any of the hills..and just about keeping up.
Quite chuckling to my self seeing Mike on the granny gear, when I was on the middle ring on a long drag up th hills above Steyning!!!
The down hills were something else...thankfully there was no moisture otherwise it would ha 've bee deadly.
Stings from the nettles and scratches from the ramble....would have had Carl screaming back up north!
Really really like it! Thanks chaps.

Re:

What's my bike got to do with Pride?? A gentle magenta fade is a very manly colour for bikes.

Re:

Now you’re getting all sensitive :roll:

Honestly! it’s ok to be gender neutral :LOL: be proud Tim ;)

Mike

Re:

I was up on the downs at Chanctonbury myself yesterday Mike, walking the dog (he takes a lot of walking), shame I didn't bump into you all. On another note, I'm sure I read somewhere that they are thinking of replacing the rainbow flag with a gentle magenta fade. :LOL:

Re: Re:

tim75":1oqdjquh said:
I might paint your Trek in a nice rainbow colour scheme now.

Worlds daaaaaahling. Worlds colours

Mike

Back