Which Freewheel will Fit Wolber S/champion 58 - Campag hub

daveweim

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

My other half has a Carlton Courette that I am making roadworthy again after a bit of abuse! I had to replace the rear wheel which was a Weinmann (I think!) with malliard hub and managed to acquire a pair of Wolber 58 Super Champion wheels with a campag record hub. I need to replace the freewheel (the original Falcon was a 5 speed) but can someone tell which models will fit a campag hub, as I'm getting confused. I know a Shimano won't fit but would a Sunrace do the trick, as they seem easier to source than a Suntour.

Thanks

daveweim":1zqwtid4 said:
Hi All,

My other half has a Carlton Courette that I am making roadworthy again after a bit of abuse! I had to replace the rear wheel which was a Weinmann (I think!) with malliard hub and managed to acquire a pair of Wolber 58 Super Champion wheels with a campag record hub. I need to replace the freewheel (the original Falcon was a 5 speed) but can someone tell which models will fit a campag hub, as I'm getting confused. I know a Shimano won't fit but would a Sunrace do the trick, as they seem easier to source than a Suntour.

Thanks

Depends whether it has English, ISO or Italian threading... Ive got record Hubs with Maillard and Atom freewheels on them.

Re:

When I was looking at the hub last night (admittedly with a beer) it had some numbers and lettering on and I'm sure it said 'England' on it too but will double check tonight.

As spokesman says its to do with the threading and not the brand of the freewheel, you also need to check the width of the hub to see if its the same. Then check the size of the sprockets are compatible with the rear mech. Sunrace bought Sturmey old kit and are pretty sound for the money.

Re:

I've had a quick squiz at the wheel and it says: England 1.370 x 24 t.p.i BSC

If anyone can translate that for me I'd be much obliged!

That's a standard English thread, ISO is 5 thousand of an inch different in pitch but are interchangeable.

Buy an English /ISO freewheel :) all modern ones are usually ISO

Re:

Jeez, this forum is a font of knowledge - many thanks for the info. I can start getting the bike back on the road for my other half!

Back