Vitus 992 project

Re: Re:

gridno27":3bqxnhiu said:
My knowledge is that the 992 OVOID comes together with the introduction of Campagnolo's first 8-speed new Record/Chorus groupsets
with the beaultiful filigree crankset and next Gen of Ergopowers in mid of 90s. The Record/Chorus groupset was the successor of the famous
C-Record groupset, which reigns the 80s and begining of 90s beside Shimano's 8-speed Dura Ace.

… best choise for this is a 8-speed Campy and Shimano or if you like especially with a 8-speed MAVIC with the polarizing Starfish crank
combined with Shimano's ST-7400. But for such a build up you need a rare 8-speed MAVIC 571/2 rear hub.

Lovely bikes in your collection! And a beautiful 992! :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts, my original plan was to go for 8 or 9 speed Chorus but having a slightly more unusual Mavic setup is very tempting (I also may have a Starfish in my sights)!
When you say I would need the Mavic hub specifically what would make that necessary? Shifting compatibility with the Mavic rear derailleur, or just for the sake of completeness?

MAVIC’s 8-Speed 571 hub can be combined with MAVICs own Shark teeth cassette only refer to the special freewheel - But 571/2 hub can combined with a Shimano 8-Speed cassette, the ST-7400 STIs and MAVICs beautiful 840 rear mech and a 860 Front mech
This mix of MAVIC and Shimano Dura ACE has been used by the Spanish ONCE Team in 1993 together with the silver Version of LOOK KG 176 before changed to Shimano in 1994 with the famous yellow LOOK (sorry I am a ONCE Fan)
Alternative you build with 8-Speed down tube shifters
instead of STis and with all the Dia Compe made MAVIC labeled parts

… here you can see the bordeaux-red version with the full MAVIC or MAVIC labeled parts inkl. down tube shifter

Attachments

• IMG_0764_25pct.jpg
    IMG_0764_25pct.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,557
So, here's a little update with a few newly acquired components for this build.

First up, dull but essential!

The nice Rubis 983 fluted post that came with the frame is sadly too short for my long legs, and after some measuring and cursing I'm pretty sure the Vitus posts would be borderline too. This might be an area I'll revisit in the future as I love the look of the classic aero posts. However, for the time being I now have a generic Kalloy post which will do the job (note I don't need allll that length)! The slightly unusual 25.4mm post size for this frame doesn't help as it cuts down on choice rather.

IMG_20190819_143219.jpg

Next, I have started assembling parts for the cockpit and brakes. After ditching my initial idea for an all over Chorus build in favour of something a little more unusual, I fell down a rabbit hole of excitingly geeky research into the history of Mavic groupsets and their collaboration with Modolo through the 80s and into the 90s. Inspired by all this (and despite loving all the bright colours of the 80s brakesets Modolo made, see here; https://veloaficionado.com/blog/ben-smi ... collection) - I decided the early 90s Modolo brakes and levers would be a good fit for my 992.

So here we are - some used but good levers (a little work needed on the plastic to give it a new lease of life);

265sDIb.jpg

To go with these we have a pair of X-Eras calipers with rather coarse looking sintered pads and nifty little streamlined shoes. I think the shape of these is a good fit for the bike, and I also love the little barbell parts on the release.

IMG_20190819_143136.jpg

Finally I have a brand new stem that might be polarizing, and isn't quite era-appropriate (as far as I can see these date from the late 90s-early 00s). However when I saw it I felt it would work beautifully with the frame, and as piece of CNC-d art it's almost worth putting on a pedestal itself. :D
It's a Modolo Q-Race 11, to go with the theme! I plan to respray the little dustcap on top purple so it ties with the frame a little better.

IMG_20190819_142955.jpg

IMG_20190819_143041.jpg

More updates soon, and if anyone has a Mavic 840 rear derailleur they don't need, let me know.....

Last edited:
Since my last post I've removed the Mavic BB as the cups were rather battered and one bearing was completely dead (and no longer in production helpfully)! I have a whole new BB on the way to replace it....

More lug polishing has gone on, the post and stem have been fitted, headset cleaned and reassembled, front derailleur hanger straightened and the new decal set applied.

IMG_20190827_090913.jpg

I also masked up and sprayed some of the details on the Modolo calipers yellow, and the stem dust cap. Definitely after some new pads for these brakes though after reading several less-than glowing accounts of their stopping power and rim-eating tendencies.

juqAV8U.jpg

IMG_20190820_190037.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a little update..

I fitted the new bottom bracket, but not having the Mavic tool I decided to draw and 3D print a pair of sockets to fit the cups exactly so I didn't mark them up. It all worked rather well!

li80E6a.jpg

I also bit the bullet and replaced the horrible sintered Modolo brake pads with Kool Stop replacements. I think they are sold for the 80s era brake models, but they fit the late 80s- early 90s Modolo range (these X-eras, SLk 90s, ALX-90s, the Mavic 440 rebranded brakes and many more variations). The new pads seemed to be deeper than the sintered originals so I sanded them down to the same height, otherwise they are a perfect match.

mqgvDdq.jpg

ngaZWzO.jpg

Finally I have another important piece of the puzzle, in the shape of Mavic's chunky 840 rear derailleur.

RzkpgxG.jpg

Last edited:
Final few bits for this build are coming together at last. Cables are run and bartape wrapped.

A Mavic Starfish crank is a key piece of the puzzle, mine was in good nick but the anodizing was looking rather tatty. Much polishing later, and it's well on the way to being quite presentable. :)

IMG_20191009_193748.jpg

Last edited:
Finished this labour of love.

IMG_20191118_162622_093.jpg

Frame & Fork - Vitus 992 57cm
Headset - Mavic
Seatpost - K Alloy
Seat - Fizik Arione
Stem - Modolo Q Race 100mm
Bar - Modolo Q Race 42cm
Bartape - Merida
Bottle cages - Elite Ciussi
Cables - Jagwire Road pro
Brakes - Modolo X-Eras w/Kool Stop pads/Modolo QT-EXE levers
Front derailleur - Mavic 862
Rear derailleur - Mavic 840
Crankset - Mavic 631 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket - Mavic 610 URD 114mm
Chainrings - Mavic 53/41
Chain - KMC X9-SL 9 Speed
Shifters - Modolo Kronos friction
Cassette - Miche Primato 8 Speed
Wheels - Fir Super Rialto Grid
Hubs - PMP 8 speed Campagnolo
Tires - Veloflex Master 23
Pedals - Look Keo2 Max

IMG_20191119_125334_018.jpg

IMG_20191119_125333_993.jpg

nimuRpF.jpg

IMG_20191119_125333_997.jpg

GzFv9Pd.jpg

3u6hZCk.jpg

mtRNLrv.jpg

IMG_20191119_125333_996.jpg

Enjoy the pics!

I hope you like the French/Italian fusion I have going on too, it's been a super fun build with a lot of time spent choosing complimentary components. I've learnt a lot along the way and found a lot of admiration for these very cool glued frames. A 979 in blue would be quite a fun project next I think.

I have a few potential parts I might swap out at some stage too - I'm leaning toward getting a new Turbo saddle instead of the modern Fizik, even though i quite like the aggressive silhouette. I'm on the lookout for a good condition Record or similar casette instead of the Miche. Finally a Vitus seatpost would be a perfect finishing touch...

Last edited:
Back