Panasonic MC6500 build

Billy_

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone!

I've been without a bike for a couple of years now, but with children growing older it's time I build myself something up for family rides and gentle pootles around.

I enjoy building probably more than the riding, so I decided to build something a little different after taking inspiration from lots of different places - here, lfgss, 4h10, ratrodbikes, etc.

So here I am with a (I'm told) 1992 Panasonic MC6500. I actually bought the frame thinking it would be a good match for a Giant fork that I purchased, but they aren't compatible! Meh!

Anyway, I'm sure to come across plenty of problems (the fork size was the first!) as I build it up as I'm much more familiar with modern standards, but I've truly fallen for retro looks...

IMG-20190713-123336666-HDR.jpg

I've already bought the handlebars that I think I'll be using - Nitto B602AA.

IMG-20190719-191612383.jpg

More to follow :D

Re:

The cranks have arrived (thanks mdj82). The plan is to clean them up before fitting. Always had a thing for this crankset since I was young and couldn't afford such things - really happy this is mine :)

Re: Panasonic MC5600 build

I have a 1991 MC6500 and have had a somewhat younger MC6500. I have never heard of MC5600. Replacing a OS steerer for 1" is nearly imposible, if not complete imposible. It is for sure not worth the effort.

Re:

Thanks for that! Looks like I made a mistake with the model number! Looking back at the for sale advert it is indeed a MC6500. Time to edit my posts...

Re:

Work continues slowly. At least I know the frame is the right size for me now and that the bars will provide some comfortable riding positions after pinching a set of wheels to try.

700c wheels will not be a feature of the end product though, some 26 inch rims have been sourced.

I'm working on the M950 cranks and will be painting them. I've found lots of people saying "don't paint cranks!", but I've also found a few that say they've done it successfully. I'm hoping they'll turn out ok, but time will tell!

Re:

Deciding to refinish the crankset probably wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

It's been time consuming and I'm not sure how they are going to come out. I still haven't really decided on the colour yet either!

On the plus side, a thorough degrease and clean up led to discovering washers I didn't know existed beforehand!

The paint on the cranks came off easily enough with some starbright paint stripper, revealing black anodising below. There were plenty of minor scuffs, so they were lightly sanded too as was the outer chainring.

I went with a high build etch primer at first which left a really, really, really rough finish - like coarse sandpaper. I used this instead of the previous etch primer I'd used on the Giant fork as it was advertised as dark grey and I'd hoped it may be a similar colour to the XTR grey and maybe could avoid a top coat!

It was no darker than the first etch primer I'd used, so I just ended up stripping it off! It really did look and feel rough.

I've now gone over it again with the original etch primer and all looks well! Just need to flat it back a little and decide on the top coat colour/s!

Back