Favourite retro groupsets?

makhno68

Dirt Disciple
What are your favourite groupsets from the last few decades? I am thinking along the lines of Shimano Dura-Ace 7400, Shimano Sante, Campag C-Record, Mavic SSC, etc. What would you choose for a dream build?

There can't be only one....

The nicest mechs,hubs and shifters are undoubtedly Mavic SSC.
Nicest chainset, seatpost,pedals,brakes and BB are Campag Nuovo/Super Record

I've got all the parts for this build... but not frame!

For a euro built frame: I think Super Record and replace the ti bolts for proper steel NR ones. For late 70s to late 80s builts of course.

For Japanese rides EX, AX or 7400.

GB brakes, bars and stem. Benelux gears. Williams chainset. Airlite hubs. Chater-Lea pedals. Reynolds chain.

What could be better! :cool:

Mid-nineties Mavic for me, the later stuff. The 631 cranks were lovely in their quirky way, but the 631/2 really hit the spot, and the 571/2 HG hubs combined Mavic's beautiful finish with Hyperglide practicality. The hidden-spring brakes made by Dia Compe were also in a different class, much smoother and prettier than their Modolo-made predecessors.

Suntour Superbe Pro is another favourite of mine, prettier than contemporary Dura Ace and lighter than C-Record. Superbe Pro pedals (made by MKS) and brakes (Dia Compe again) are some of the nicest ever made.

Older bikes need older gear, of course, but things really moved up a notch in the nineties. With the exception of their track group, Shimano didn't make much that appealed to me before Dura Ace went 9-speed.

From C-Record, I'd have to pick and choose. The cranks and delta brakes are gorgeous of course, and the TBS pedals, but most of the other parts I can take or leave.

Nuovo- and Super Record are all very well, but you need to look back a generation or two before you get to the really good stuff:

http://www.campyonly.com/history/cambio_corsa.html

img_7.jpg

I wonder if Old Ned remembers those...

Cheeky!! I'm not (quite) that old!

But I do remember when a Campag Gran Sport was the latest thing to have!

Blimey, five responses and all the bases covered!

To be honest I don't think you can go too far wrong with Super Record, SSC or Superbe Pro (the latter much missed on another thread - the brakes in particular were lovely). Similar era Dura Ace was great too but a bit too much of a Campag copy to have it's own identity - it wasn't until STi and onwards that Shimano became a serious player in the European peloton.

If I really HAD to choose it would be Super Record on a Colnago or Merckx plus a clearly unsuitable haircut.

italian frame? mine is c-record, but i'll allow you super record if it's an older bike.

other euro frame? mavic for sure. i want an SSC equipped bike in the stable.

american or japanese? superbe, for sure. another for the wish-list.

never been a shimano guy, though DA AX and 600 arabesque hold slight interest.

Back