Peugeot Competition 2000

dsamways

Retro Newbie
Does anyone own a Peugeot Competition 2000 (see pic)? My son had an accident on his and insists that the forks have bent backwards. However, I can find nothing wrong with the bike and no evidence of any distortion. Could somebody measure the distance between the wheel centres (wheelbase)?

Many thanks

David

Attachments

• IMG_1155 (1).jpg
    IMG_1155 (1).jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 774
Re:

The front wheel looks to me about 4 or 5 cms back. Look for cracks in the paint around the fork crown or drop the forks out and inspect the steerer (fork column).

Keith

Thanks for your reply. I've been in the engineering business for 25 years and have already checked for cracks etc and can find nothing. They are also exactly the same with no difference in either tine. Photos of the same model show very little difference. See attached. The forks may have shifted slightly, but I need measurements to determine by how much.

Attachments

• Peugeot2000.JPG
    Peugeot2000.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 743
Re:

Could be a bit less than 4 cm back, but it still looks wrong. You need the centre of bottom bracket to centre of front axle, bear in mind a larger frame could be longer.

Keith

Yes, I think you're right. I'm a little hesitant about bending them back, even though it's only a few degrees. If it were my bike I wouldn't worry, but I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to the kid (well, he's 22 but it's still the same). Is it possible to get forks as an exact replacement? Never really had much to do with bicycles, mine have always had engines!

Looks OK to me with straight forks, it's usually the frame that goes as well and that looks OK too.....

Thanks, I've had a go and bending back with a long bit of tube. Being welded rather than brazed at the yoke/steering tube the join is stronger and it's much easier to see any cracking or fatigue - I can't see anything suspicious under a loupe. On the other hand a replacement set of forks is less than 20 quid.

On a related safety point that stem looks to be extended beyond its safe limit - check for a line or series of pecks round the steerer part for max extension.

hamster":2rhilkjt said:
On a related safety point that stem looks to be extended beyond its safe limit - check for a line or series of pecks round the steerer part for max extension.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Back