Kona Cincercone 88'

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bout time i got a few pics of my 88' Cindercone up on here....first project finished at last...... :D It's as original as i could get it, except for the T-bone stem, ringle mojo and tires (i have the Maximum & Reaction tires, but they are a bit battered so i've left the current set on)...
IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

I'll get her out on the trail when i've recovered from my last MTB scrapes!! :roll:

Always loved the angles on Konas, and especially the paint on early ones.....
Have to get an early Explosif next... :cool:

That is very nice and frame looks in very good condition.

I would suggest that the front canti hanger is lowered as looks too high, by lowering you should get a better pull on the front.

you've done a good job

Kona

Front cantis & chainset aren't 89 Mountain LX. I had this groupo on a Rockhopper of the same period. Chainset should be the old Mountain LX/500 LX version & cantis were the lumpy alloy jobbies. Your chainset looks like a 86 DeerHead.

Noted re: the cable hanger. ;)
Canti's came with the frame when bought early this year, and i was told that everything attached was original.....maybe not it seems.... :roll:
I replaced the chainset, which didn't match the one shown in the Kona Brochure from 88/89 (poss. little white lies from seller again) with what was listed in an eBay sale as an Exage Trail with Biopace rings, as per spec. Could be 86' Deerhead.....not sure...i'll investigate :?

They also came with Ukai UM-20 rims, but failing to find them i went with good old RM-20's....oh, and the grips are Onza porcipaws obviously....

These builds are trickier to get right than expected.... :LOL:

Thanks again folks.... :D

I think it looks right with the RM20s! An old riding buddy had the same wheel set-up on his Cinder Cone after totaling the original rims in a crash.

All round fantastic retro bike!

Latest posts

Back