How would you build your ti 29er?

Re:

A rummage through some boxes this evening confirmed I have an m980 rear mech and shifter and a semi integrated hope headset so gearing is sorted once I find a shifter mount that's not I-spec, or a magura mixmaster to work with the mt6 brakes I have. Forks I'll simply swap the sids over and put some rigid forks on the felt for now. Hadn't thought about keeping it, but perhaps a carbon rigid 29er and a ti suspended one could be nice to have at my disposal.

Cranks are also mostly sorted, need to decide between som ethirteen trs and race face after burners (386 or standard 4 bolt), opinions?

Will probably stick with my initial idea of Thompson stem, Easton carbon bars and a reverb, though I'll need to bleed it after fitting which is annoying as it's just been serviced. Any advice on fitting an internally routed dropper and bleeding afterwards, never done this before.

Wheels, hmmm. I have a new set of wtb i23 rims, and red hope pro 2 evo hubs. Not sure red fits my ideal end look, but it's what I have to work with. Just need to figure out what spokes to use, and lengths. Any good online calculators for this? I'll probably build them myself.....

That just leaves cassette I think, I have a few 10sp ones, not sure of ratios but I'll play with them and see what works.

Speaking of what works, I have a broken m980 rear mech with a one up rad cage. Would it be worth moving this on to my good rear mech or stick with the stock cage?

DT Revolution spokes would be good. Also the DT spoke length calculator. Measure the rims yourself rather than relying on the printed erd!

I read online that El Guapo hubs might be the same as Stans Neo hubs, maybe parts are transferable?

CTK":182evvv1 said:
I read online that El Guapo hubs might be the same as Stans Neo hubs, maybe parts are transferable?
They are the same according to on one. New wheels or conversion kit? Hmmm. If I laced up the bits I have, I could have two different 29ers. Not exactly downsizing though....

ishaw":jjax7pts said:
CTK":jjax7pts said:
They are the same according to on one. New wheels or conversion kit? Hmmm. If I laced up the bits I have, I could have two different 29ers. Not exactly downsizing though....

We all know, in order to downsize, we need to buy 3 more bikes, then you definitely know your making the right decisions, and you can sell some, and also still have plenty of bikes. maybe you end up with the same total number of bikes, but if you ride them all more often, you have more bikes in use, which is then not a waste of space or money. you spend less on service items as the wear and tear is spread over more bikes.
I don't actually think I could afford to only have one bike!

It makes sense in my head anyway, even if it reads as gibberish!

Re:

Kind of makes sense, but I'm trying to get down to 6 or less, from a number considerably higher

Re:

I am on a similar course, now down to two bikes with one in boxes awaiting new owners.

I am not fit fast or lean and live in a hilly location. My Clockwork has just been set up with XT M8000 with a 30t chainring and 40t 11 speed cassette. All good, but the killer was the wheels/tyres.

I bought a pair of Big Apples for my spare Alex wheels. Primarily for the trainer, but hey let's try on the road. My lively, playfull Clockwork became stunted, despite the slick tyre and high pressure. No acceleration at all but did hold momentum on the flat.

Back on my Hope Hoops with Conti X kings and it is flying again.

For me 29ers are more tyre/wheel sensitive than 650b or 26".

Anyway we all like photos, so here is my Clockwork as it stands today with full M8000 and Hope elsewhere. I have a M9000 shifter & rear mech sat in boxes, but I also have everything to take my M8000 to 2x11 if & when needed. Might just sell the XTR stuff on.

TLDR: put your money in wheels & tyres for maximum returns on a 29er build.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 1,200
Re:

Thanks. Wheels are a priority, looking to build a set around the hope hubs I have. Good call on tyres, have a few sets to play with, happy enough with the ones on my current 29er (wtb Bronson iirc).

Need to work out how to route my reverb via the internal holes and bleed (annoying as just been serviced and bled), or if I should use a normal post?

Re:

I tried a Bronson/Hans Dampf mix using the folding versions. Didn't get on with them at all, not as bad as the Smorgasbord/Chunky Monkey I had previously though.

I replaced those with Riddler/Trail Boss folding tyres and was quite impressed with them as a compromise between off and on road.

As I rarely ride challenging off road anymore I switched to the X-Kings which for me are the best yet.

I plan to sell the Riddler/Trail Boss pair, hardly used. Let me know if you think they might suit your riding.

Re:

Thanks, just bought some wheels, going to see what they are like on arrival but might be interested in tyres once I've checked what I have in the garage. Seem to recall buying some ages ago but cant recall what or if tubeless as fancy giving that a try.

Back