Twin Tube Claud Butler Built Saxon

Excellent, any chance of any build thread type stuff?

Re:

Have replaced most of the unoriginal components for high end 1950's ones apart from seat stem. Sorry no thread. Will upload some more pictures when completed

Re:

1955 Claude Butler built Saxon Twin Tube update...
Saddle now in with alloy seat pin... all safe as the original clamps were cracked!
Chater Lea pencil arm crank in place with Constrictor Asp Platform Pedal.
Now need a 1950s Campagnolo rear Derailleur hanger and a Tecalemit oiler and some Medium toeclips and the bike will be ready for its first shakedown ride after 30+ years of inactivity..
Spec
Claude Butler built Saxon short wheelbase frameset 38" with full Reynolds 531 Double Butted Tubing with Axe head Full Bilaminate Lugs & integral seat clamp.
Wheels 27" Constrictor Asp Rims 32 & 40 spokes l, Harden Large Flange Hubs fully rebuilt by myself with DT Competition Stanless Steel DB Spokes.
Brakes - Full Mid 1950s GB Coureur Hiduminium brakeset Generation 1 GB Superhoods with 50s Cables.
Crankset Chater Lea Pencil Arm with Constrictor Asp Platform Pedals
Saddle original Brooks B17 narrowed and cut
Seat pin - Alloy Lambert adjustable
Seat clamp bolt -Chater Lea
BB - TDC
Gears- Campagnolo Generation 1
Freewheel - Regina Extra.
Bars- 1950s GB Hiduminium Binda
Stem 1950s GB Hiduminium
All components fully serviced by myself to a high standard

Comments please...

Re:

Here is the Saxon fully restored, it has been a long journey to restore but I'm now going to enjoy going out on it. I will be attending a VCC Club run at the weekend doing a 50 mile trip across the Chilterns.
Comments please

Attachments

• 68259529_2374970322774470_5642416227449044992_o.jpg
    68259529_2374970322774470_5642416227449044992_o.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 634
Looks very stylish but not sure the rear mech should be in that kind of position....

Re:

Does anyone out there know by whom the frame was built? I'm curious because Kelvin mentioned that it was built in Cardiff and i just happen to come from that region. I am only aware of C.W. Alexander and a guy who built bike frames when he wasn't repairing washing machines. It may be possible that Reg Braddock dabbled in the art of frame building but that thought is 100% wild shot in the dark. Can somebody enlighten me? Somebody claims that you learn something new everyday, i haven't yet. Another expression is that curiousity killed the cat. I don't want to go there.

Regards,
Richard Lees.

Re:

Looks great: bet the ride is positive but comfortable. I've a mystery 50's frame that's been shod with similar gear and the fork rake is similar but there's even more taper. When you hit a dip in the tamac it flexes so much it feels like it's breaking.

Happy Riding

Re:

Dear All,

The Ride on the CB Built Saxon is very comfortable, sporty and reponsive I guess due to its short wheelbase, geometry and full Reynolds Tubing.

The construction of the frame looks like pure Claude Butler with the full Axe Head Bilaminate Lugs and superb finish of the brazed joints. I doubt that this frameset was built by anyone else.

Regards,

Nick

Back