Do you only ride retro?

Do you own a modern bike?

• No way! Modern stuff is wierd, retro only here!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course, retro stuff is what garages are made for!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gump":2sveyhdj said:
Agree, retro stuff looks elegant and classic, a lot of it made in the times of form before function.

thats very nearly a classic quote in itself ;)

chris, new skool doesnt have to be priccey, what frame do you fancy?

cchris2lou":opdls89v said:
I ll like an Epic , with a Fox fork and disc brakes .

hahaha, seriously? you know I've literally just sold 1?
screw the epic! try looking for a few yr old orange sub5 or patriot, pick em up on ebay cheap as chips :)

I know you did.

I dont like Orange ( :oops: ) .

To be honest , I only ride a few hours at the week end , so the M2 is up to the job . It has V brakes and XTR transmission , so that is fine . A modern forks would be nice , as the Judy DH has a few limits .

I just don't think I'm a good enough rider to worry about having modern/expensive kit on a bike I ride. I have the lavadome for the races as I don't want to have major mechanical issues 15 miles from transition on the adventure races, it's seviced in the lbs as i don't really trust myself with some of the more difficult elements of bike maintenance (plus I don't have the time).

The rest of the time when I'm nightriding, trail riding etc I think that any issues I have are due to my own lack of skill or ftiness, and spending a grand on a new bike is not going to fix those issues..

If i was shooting off to the mountains every weekend and bouncing down some ridiculously rocky descent I might think differently but for the good old south east I reckon an old hardtail will do..

nothing dull or heavy about this one.

santa.jpg

expensive, mmm guilty as charged.

Must admit, I have considered building retro bike with modern bits but it feels wrong. I have toyed with the idea of a modern, some of the cannondale headshock stuff looks nice, as does the whyte 19. But once I think £1500+ for a bike I look at what that would buy me retro wise and stop. Maybe once I have all the bikes I ever wanted :LOL:

cchris2lou":3us637nn said:
I could not buy a bike I dont like the look .

I think thats a common theme. people dont try riding the new stuff as they just dont look as clean lines in many cases.

Back