Rocky mountain Team Comp???

Rest assured Matze010, the Team Comp does exist. Of the four I'm aware of, one's in Germany (silver), one was a mag review bike (dark green) and I own the other two myself, one of wich I've has since the end of the 1992 race season (it was issued to a sponsored rider from a shop in Devon who managed half a race on it before coming off and cracking his ankle – I imagine had it managed the whole season it probably would have been trashed) The other was a more recent purchase from a certain forum member who messed a few people around before listing it on ebay – I told myself I wouldn't buy it, but it's not like I'll ever get another chance to buy one in brand new condition (it's even got the sign-off card from the Rocky staff when it was made).

The question really is what is the one on ebay??? the more I look at it, the more I think it's a runout model – possibly a very late '91 Equipe but with '92 dropouts and front mech routing rather than the noodle.

Back in the early '90s Rocky was a very small company so it's entirely possible that their bikes evolved during any given year. Only the big boys need to wait until the next year to announce a 'new model'

Crayons":33zinzcn said:
The question really is what is the one on ebay??? the more I look at it, the more I think it's a runout model – possibly a very late '91 Equipe but with '92 dropouts and front mech routing rather than the noodle.
Back in the early '90s Rocky was a very small company so it's entirely possible that their bikes evolved during any given year. Only the big boys need to wait until the next year to announce a 'new model'
I think this is right - and it could also be that things like the head tube mounting of the cable stops was partly person-specific and not wholly year-specific. I certainly have pictures of bikes that don't have the feature but their owners believe them to be 91 bikes, and vice versa.

I personally believe that the frame is what the owner says it is. Partly because he seems to be perfectly straight and open about it, and partly because these stories must start somewhere. The bloke he bought it off who had it sprayed told him it was a Team Comp, and why should he lie? It's not as though a Team Comp was worth so much more than an Equipe that it was worth committing a fraud. And somebody who gave it that paint and those decals wasn't exactly all out to maximise its value.

That's a very fair point. It's entirely possible that this frame would actually make more money if the seller did call it an Equipe, as it's a model many more have heard of. I'm all for hoping this is a '91 Team Comp. It means there's another years worth of these frames out there for collecting :D

If you go for it, just remember that Gil's got the correct graphics for that bike now.

£103 :shock:

Got to be honest, that's a bit higher than I'd have expected. But then I'd want to respray and add correct decals which would cost a bit.

Crayons":1ror2i5w said:
£103 :shock:

Got to be honest, that's a bit higher than I'd have expected. But then I'd want to respray and add correct decals which would cost a bit.
The paint was ok for me and the decals weren't over-lacquered, so they would come off without damage.

It was too small for you guys anyway.

FluffyChicken":3ou8s71h said:
... not having the hole in the drop out would make it '92+ though. Thingies on head tube was a '91 thing, though lack of noodles either makes it cheap or also not '91....

Though being handbuilt at the time, it may have a transitional design between '91 to '92 Equipe/Vertex

btw the seller says it is a 26.8 seatpost. Don't believe him (if it is a 91/92 frame) as they where 27.0 for these years bar some Alu frames.

Also the black, if original is the colour (one of) of the '92 Vertex I mention.

Nice one Anthony. Hope you didn't take my comment re the price the wrong way. £103 is a fair price for a quality steel frame like that – I just had a funny feeling it would sell for a stupidly small amount as it didn't seem to be getting much interest when I last looked on ebay.

I've noticed a trend for retro bits on ebay making more than I expect – partly why I keep being out-bid on stuff :LOL:

I'm sure you'll be delighted when you get that one built up. Rockys do have a quite superb feel when ridden – enjoy.

Oh and you're right – way too small for me :D

Back