Mountain biking abroad

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Who's dunnit and where? What places have you been you could take non cyclists?

alps, southern spain, austria, the US

suppose it depends on the bike you're taking and how you're getting there

Its principally going to be a family holiday and was hoping to go somewhere bike friendly since with the rest of them in tow I'll get some time myself. Also would be a summertime affair and probably flying though renting a car once there is probable.

could do lanzarote, beaches, plenty of bars/restaurants several gokart tracks, quad bikes to rent and it's not daft money. road riding is good and if you get a guide or some local info good offroad aswel. 3 ish hour flight so that's not to bad, big name roadies train there and there are iron man type events if you go at the right time.

been there a couple of times for random holidays with family when i was younger and then with mates a few years ago.

Pre-kids, me and Mrs Beds went to Lanzarote in March, 4 years on the trot with our MTB's. There's some cracking trails, but its really REALLY windy and I would expect it to be bleedin hot in the summer.

Somewhere I wouldnt recommend is Fuetaventura. Took my road bike there when Mrs B was preggers with our 1st daughter and it was massivly dull :( I ended up doing crits around the complex where we were staying cos the main roads were so shite.

I hit Morzine in the Alps this Summer with a coupla mates, it was bewdiful. I'd say there's enough to do if you don't cycle too.. How long do you want to go for?

the Alps are good for summer holidays , plenty to do on bike or off the bikes .

Probably looking at the standard 2 weeks. Alps does sound attractive, a couple of the gang aren't exactly sun followers.

johnnyboy I take when you were asking what bike I was taking it was with a view to terrain etc? It would probably be a hardtail or a light full susser, not after super gnarly trails or owt. Lanza sounds good apart from the weather but when I do go it'll be for the Ironman.

Back