Frame ID ? New bike!

fabianoliver

Retro Newbie
Hello all.
Some days ago I have bought a bike, with an unknown frame ( by me..).
It has Fondriest decals, but it’s not a Fondriest.

The frame has some details that I like, and may be they can reveal the origin.

So here’s the final part of the bike story: 
The bike was offered by some work friends to the seller before he become retired in his job.
So now he don’t ride anymore, and he sells me the bike.
He said his friends “builded up “the bike for him, they send it to sand and powder coating, etc, etc.
So now, it’s at home,
I’ve started dismantling and clean process, lube, and replace bearings, etc.
Any comment about the frame is welcome!!

Here some pictures.

Thanks for your time

Fabian Oliver
Montevideo-Uruguay

Attachments

• IMG_0425W.jpg
    IMG_0425W.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,831
  • IMG_0426W.jpg
    IMG_0426W.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,830
  • IMG_0427W.jpg
    IMG_0427W.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,827
  • IMG_0429W.jpg
    IMG_0429W.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_0431W.jpg
    IMG_0431W.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,826
  • IMG_0437W.jpg
    IMG_0437W.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,827
  • IMG_0442W.jpg
    IMG_0442W.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,830
Hi, yes they're nice, both Campagnolo Record.
The rear one is marked Legnano, but is the Record engraved Legnano for them.
The dérailleurs are Campagnolo Triomphe, the brakes Universal Mod 61, and the cranckset Shimano, brake levers unknown.
Please take a look on the unused cable guide on the right leg (seat stay freewheel side), for what cable can be designed?? why is unused?
Another strange solution is the cable guides under the bracket shell. Do you have seen open bracket shells? for what?, well some questions that I ask to myself.
If anyone can help me with that it will be cool.

Thanks Midlife, and all.

Fabian Montevideo Uruguay

Attachments

• FRONT-HUBW.jpg
    FRONT-HUBW.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,794
  • REAR-HUB-W.jpg
    REAR-HUB-W.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,792
  • FRW.jpg
    FRW.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,792
  • RDW.jpg
    RDW.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,792
  • FRONT-BRAKEW.jpg
    FRONT-BRAKEW.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,794
  • IMG_0441WW.jpg
    IMG_0441WW.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,793
Re:

You are right - it is not a Fondriest. The seat post is too small - the tabs are tightened until touching - you need a post at least 0.2mm larger, I’d say.

If you remove the rear wheel, is there any writing on the dropouts? Also, is the bottom bracket 68 or 70mm wise?

Hi, the bottom bracket is 70mm wise.
In the dropouts, there's no writing, and you are right about the set post, thanks, they added a supplement to increase the diameter, you can see it in one of the pictures.
There's a treated hole in the rear dropouts to add a little stop screw, may be this can help to ID the dropouts?....

70mm means it is Italian - the chainstay bridge looks like something standard from Gipiemme, who supplied countless builders. No names on the dropouts means that they are not also Gipiemme.

Double rounded-rectangle cutouts on bottom bracket were used by Olmo, but this not an Olmo, as I have never seen one without cutouts in the lugs.

I have a frame that looks a little like this - plain lugs; same cutouts on BB, but with tidier cable guides; semi-wrapped seatstay caps; but mine has Gipiemme branded dropouts.

I don't know what mine is either, but I continue to look.

The fixed side bottom bracket cup looks as if it is not screwed in very far. I would check it to see if the axle is the correct length for the chainset. I cannot see the cable guide on the seatstay?

Hello, thanks Five alpha for the information, I'll continue the research with your data.
Ned, I see your point, it seems tight, but at this point, the chainring is really close to the chain stay......
here you have a picture of the cable guide....I cannot figure out for what it's there.....

Can you see another way to run through this piece one of the cables? from where to where?....

Thanks for your comments!

Attachments

• IMG_0439W.jpg
    IMG_0439W.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,727
  • IMG_0440W.jpg
    IMG_0440W.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,727
That's not a cable guide - it's a chain peg. You hook the chain over that when you remove the rear wheel, and it keeps the chain tension, making it easier to remove/refit the wheel.

Just a guess, But the bracket axle could be for the rare 74mm bracket shell, and both cups being 36 x 24 right hand thread are in the wrong sides, and there is no locking ring. This could result in the bearing cup loosening and stretching the bracket shell.
The bracket axle could be in backwards for the chain ring to clear the stay.

Keith

Back