Largest frames ever made?

mikael

Dirt Disciple
Howdy. I have a rather long inseam that often leads to a very unpleasant saddle to bar drop with 90s MTB geo. I also think too much exposed seatpost looks unattractive. I'm happy to have found the 22" GT triple triangle frames as they measure 22" center to center, which ends up being something like 24.5" C-T.

~80s MTB geo often seems to be better in this regard (longer seat tubes). Are there any other bikes/frames I should be looking at that would fit my legs? As short reach as possible and long seat tube is what I'm looking for.

I recently found a 24" seat tube Emmelle Cheetah. Have not been able to see it in person, but these seem to have a rather crap reputation. I guess it's something along these lines I'm looking for geo wise.

Attachments

• 5260812111.jpg
    5260812111.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 674

Attachments

• XXXL Cannondale (Custom).jpg
    XXXL Cannondale (Custom).jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 664
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
dyna-ti":2it8tyjw said:
I think this is about the biggest i've ever seen. 69cm
Oh crap, that's a tall bike. Might even be too high for me. Don't think I should go over a 94 cm standover.

It's a road bike. Different thing all together.
Largest MTB frame i've generally seen is around 23/24". Issue is usually getting a steerer long enough to get the bars high enough. Most of the big guys i've seen round here either have high rise stems and riser bars or back issues.

If you are after a tall but short reach bike, you might be better off narrowing your search a bit and look for the right length in the frame and use a long post, then find a fork with a REALLLLLLLLY long steerer.

or try finding another of these?

IMG_7213_edited_zpsmmsw1vyy.jpg

My first mountain bike was an Emelle Silver Challenge and I can indeed confirm they are crap. They weren't highly regarded even BITD and were only a small step up on the BSOs you get nowadays. It'll very likely be a hi-tensile steel frame too.

People didn't seem to worry about step over height until the late 80s/early 90s - hence many 80s mountain bikes looking as they do.

mattr":nx05ip90 said:
Largest MTB frame i've generally seen is around 23/24".
24" is fine. Any models that spring to mind?

The History Man":nx05ip90 said:
or try finding another of these?
IMG_7213_edited_zpsmmsw1vyy.jpg
Beauty!

greencat":nx05ip90 said:
My first mountain bike was an Emelle Silver Challenge and I can indeed confirm they are crap. They weren't highly regarded even BITD and were only a small step up on the BSOs you get nowadays. It'll very likely be a hi-tensile steel frame too.
Thanks for confirming! Wont be getting that.

Back