Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

NO! Don't let it rust! :D :D 90 - 96 are Saracen's best years as far as I m concerned.
we want pics :)
I'd have had Marmit King's KR but it's too Minty and therefore costly for me. :(

BarneyRubble":3eecwpne said:
neilypullsawheelie":3eecwpne said:
My first mountain bike was a Saracen 'special edition' (whatever that meant). Bought new in 1992/3 for about £350 It was nowt flash but I loved it. Got no pics but it is in the father in laws garage as I gave it to him a few years back. Hoping sometime he might get sick of it and I'll nab it back to tidy up.

I have a "special Edition", it seemed to be a parts bin raid, but I loved it! Mine is sitting at my Mum's house slowly rusting. I really need to sort it out! I have some pics that I will put up tomorrow, it's a sad sight! :cry:

Here is my Special Edition - As mentioned it is in need of some serious love! Before anyone mentions the saddle, my Mum has been riding it for the last few years and she is 61, so allowed a comfy saddle! :D The bike is otherwise exactly as it was when I strayed from the singletrack back in the mid 90's, (only rustier).

Really I need to resore the bike, but I fear the task might be too large for someone with my limited time.

Attachments

• Saracen Special Edition 1.JPG
    Saracen Special Edition 1.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 3,585
chrisv40":1x4luhdv said:
The Sahara Elite had Saracens own elastomer suspension fork which mine had originally in 1993.

I had this bike too, they did a 'special edition' (did they have excess special edition stickers at Sarcen?!) which mine was - about £40 more than this as it had the titanium coloured paint which fooled loads of people (it looked just like the Kili Ultra Ti). The original forks were appaling, I still have them somewhere but as a 15/16 year old they were cool. I seem to remember that after releasing the front brake the brace on the forks would clang against the forks crown :shock: scary stuff.
I still have most of the bike, the forks are in a box somewhere-they were replaced with Manitou 4s after working a whole summer to save for them!..this alone saved about 4lb! The frame wasn't too bad, main tubes are Tange double butted oversized and I liked the GT esque pierced top tube, the dropouts had Saracen stamped in themI think I will rebuild it one day. I had it resprayed - the ace paint wore off to a horrid beige colour (due to leaving it in the sun) and the decals peeled like a fish from a cracker..lots of good memories with this bike! might have to dig out the pics from way back :D

Get it rebuilt Pointer, any chance of seeing the pics you have? Those old forks were crap you're right i replaced mine with Manitou Sport. Ive got a 1996 Terratrax on its way to me (Dirtjumpers old one) which should make a nice winter project.

After searching for ages I have found a Tufftrax to build up. Frame is in good shape although most of its original componants have been swapped for tat. Had a quick blast on sunday afternoon and even in its current spec its great- I have never riden a bike that wheelies and hops as well. I now know why i loved my old one so much :p

I have most of the parts to replicate my old bike already, but still have a few things to find. Spec will be full XT M732, biopace rings etc. Tange Switchblades, flouro flexstem, Rolls saddle, Mavic wheels on XT hubs, Ritchey tyres, the frame will be repainted in blue and hopefully Gil will sort the decals.

Will start a readers bike thread when I get it underway... small matter of finishing off the PACE first :roll:

3037232645_8b32fa039d.jpg

Dr S":1poj88m5 said:
After searching for ages I have found a Tufftrax to build up. Frame is in good shape although most of its original componants have been swapped for tat. Had a quick blast on sunday afternoon and even in its current spec its great- I have never riden a bike that wheelies and hops as well. I now know why i loved my old one so much :p

I have most of the parts to replicate my old bike already, but still have a few things to find. Spec will be full XT M732, biopace rings etc. Tange Switchblades, flouro flexstem, Rolls saddle, Mavic wheels on XT hubs, Ritchey tyres, the frame will be repainted in blue and hopefully Gil will sort the decals.

Will start a readers bike thread when I get it underway... small matter of finishing off the PACE first :roll:

Nice :cool:

Cool that you've managed to find a bike like your original. I'm still searching for a Tufftrax like mine... chap emailed me from this forum with one, but it's not quite the same, still thinking about wether I should buy it as a compromise or hold out for the right one....

If you want to buy this http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0079766879 i'll buy the frame off you ;)

edit: wrong forks aren't they... they are for the later "elite models"

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back