And today I did......

Re:

Last night I went out in the pissing rain on a night ride it was warm but wet. What curtailed my planned route was a wee issue with my arse "nappy rash" :oops:

Today I converted the last of my modern bikes to tubeless, leaving the STS as my only bike left fitted with inner tubes.
Had been sceptical about tubeless road, as the pressures are a lot higher and there's not the same air volume as a mtb tyre to deal with sealing any punctures. That said, I've been running the gravel bike tubeless since I got it early this year and it feels great. I sold my summer road bike this week and bought a nicer set of summer wheels for my winter (now only) road bike. Only ever used the carbon one in summer to keep it nice, but this inevitably led to it doing very little mileage. Was never going to be a suitable bike for winter, running 50mm aero rims and 25c racing tyres is not fun in any kind of side wind or wet roads. Wheels on the winter bike have always felt a bit dead. Not especially heavy but I think the combination of cheap Sram hubs and puncture resistant tyres, have made them feel lifeless. Been impressed by the DT Swiss cross wheels on the gravel bike and started looking at their other offerings. Settled on the endurance version but with the same hubs. Slightly narrower and lighter than the cross ones, but still rated for a 120kg rider. Put on 5kg this year and while I'm still a good way away from the limit, it's good to know they should take a battering. Convertible between all axle types and tubeless ready, with all the extra bits included. Asked LBS for their best price and the came in £20 under what the German mail order sites were charging. Did go mail order for the tyres as Sigma Sport were doing a pair of Hutchinson tubeless for £60, and they were getting great reviews. Just to annoy all those that struggle with tubeless, these seated no problem and went straight up with just a track pump. Not had a chance for a proper ride yet, but at my usual pressures they felt really smooth riding round the village. They also have the bonus of fitting the gravel bike, as the adaptors and free hub (Sram vs Shimano) won't take long to change over. Think I'll keep the old wheels as a winter back up, the puncture resistant tyres may come in useful when the roads are proper mucky and changing a flat means freezing your arse off.

Re:

Well at least the fleet is slimming down :)
I've not tried road tubeless, but my modern mtb and gravel bike have been tubeless for a couple of years. With the correct tyres and rims it's probably no more time or hassle than fitting tyres and inner tubes.

No riding for me today, been a very wet and dreich day, again.... :roll:
When are we going to get some sunny weather?

Ill be sticking to good old tried and tested innertubes :) well im clueless about tubeless,and i cant think of where it would really be of that use to me, for the little i get out into the countryside.

Current build giving a little grief. BB area, not as free moving despite all being new and the threads freshly recut :? X9 cranks fitted and moved fine, the rotor crank isnt so free moving, wont swing under its own weight :? very odd.

Still incredulous with the weight of this new build, despite its size, a chunky freeride frame and 150mm RS fork it is seriously light, well compared to a 38lb Claude butler. I can't be saving far off a stone in weight.

dyna-ti":32fk53c1 said:
Current build giving a little grief. BB area, not as free moving despite all being new and the threads freshly recut :? X9 cranks fitted and moved fine, the rotor crank isnt so free moving, wont swing under its own weight :? very odd.

What kind of BB are you using?
If you are using a Sram GXP bb then other brands of cranks won’t work, as the non drive side bearing is smaller. Rotor cranks need Shimano style bb for 24mm axles.

All this talk of tubeless brings me back to my new wheels

Built some Pro 4 onto Raceface ARC27's will be setting up tubeless if I can decide what tyres I want to run - well actually I know its the Maxxis Assegai but they dont do them in a decent sidewall yet and for under £60 a tyre

I'm running 2.5 shortys just now which with 40PSI climb ok but need about 24PSI to descend anything remotely steep

Now I just need to convince myself I dont need a Bronson....

Back