Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I'm struggling to identify which of these hubs is a Hope Mono Suspension hub as they are both listed as such but one has a larger body and the other silver one more streamlined and road like.

Box says Mono Suspension --- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-mono-fr ... %7Ciid%3A1

Ad on here from a few years ago --- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=186520

Who's correct? I like the look of the silver but the red looks more suitable for mountain bike builds.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by mezzanine on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Mono I believe is a road hub designation, could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:19 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Hi, your question is confusing as only one of your links states suspension. The first is for a green Mono hub, the second is for the red Mono.

Generally the fatter hubs were designed for suspension to aid with stiffness.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks ishaw and Mark.

Have changed the link, I pasted the wrong link so the green one is now the silver which I think is in the wrong box? I think I remember Hope information saying the mono slim design "lightweight" was for cyclocross and rigid mtb's. Some rigid mtb's take harder hits than suspension bikes so not sure the exact logic on that one...but maybe that's just my lack of skill and finesse.

The thin mono does look nice but if it was intended for road use in general then I will wait for the "proper" mtb versions to pop up.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Mark's answer regarding the fatter hubs does cover the difference between the two versions.

The fatter hubs were introduced for suspension forks, to aid stiffness - even going back to the Titanium body version with press fit Aluminium Flanges called Ti Glide and Fatso. The Hope Lightweight front hub was the predecessor to those two with the same Ti / Ali design. The rear that went with that version was the Screw On Freewheel design. I have one on the front of my 1993 Kona Kilauea paired up with a Ti Glide rear.

The Mono (one piece aluminum) slimmer versions, like the Silver one in your new link, were called Hope Mono XC. I had a set built by Merlin, and that is what they were stocked as. I would say that the silver one on e-Bay is indeed sat on an incorrect box.

I agree that the logic doesn't seem to make sense, but I think it's also to do with lateral stiffness of the fatter "Suspension" version.

My Hope Mono XC set are now getting on for 20 years old, and are currently on my 1996 Kona Ku. That bike has been blinking well everywhere with me riding all sorts of terrain, and I have never had an issue with them - mind you, I am a skinny little whippet :wink: .

Pip