Allin of croydon information needed

VeloFellow54":17gfh243 said:
Would love to see pictures of it. I have a track frame number 2514 which I had previously dated to about 1985. It has some quite unusual features and is a great pleasure to ride.
(see picture) I was in contact with someone who worked at Allins at the time this was made. I wondered whether it had been built by Cliff Shrubb but the opinion is that it was one of Ray Moores. I also had seen recently a frame branded 'Whitehorse' which had me baffled. I learned that, again in the 80's, Allins bought in some frames and branded them Whitehorse rather than Allin which was only used on frames that they made, or had made for them specifically.

I could comment further but the red frame is not a true Allin as it was built post Peter Cobb and when the business was sold. Cliff Shrubb built for Allin and he was a fine builder (he also built for Geoffrey Butler and Pearson, and used his own name too).

I recently attended Keith Butler's funeral.

Rk.

VeloFellow54":1hj342fv said:
I could comment further also........but I think that i will give it a miss

I restrict my comments on RB these days as there's a palpable lack of appreciation, your churlish comment merely reinforces that view.

Rk.

Does anyone know if they offered a curved seat tube frame. I'm sure I've seen one in the flesh but nowhere on tinternet...

flash":5qf2kitw said:
Does anyone know if they offered a curved seat tube frame. I'm sure I've seen one in the flesh but nowhere on tinternet...

I'm certain Peter Cobb* never built a curved seat tube frame - I'm assuming you are referring to a short wheelbase TT frame or a Lo Pro ? Nor have I seen an Allin SWB tandem. However when the business was sold in 1981, Cliff Shrubb built some frames for Allin and he may well have built an Allin with a curved seat tube.

Rk.

*Allin's framebuilder in the classic period - the reason I'm certain is I know an ex employee (20yrs) of Allins.

I believe it’s from 1961. Not Lo Pro and I don’t think TT. I don’t think it’s owner did either and it has mudguards...

flash":3cqqw9uq said:
I believe it’s from 1961. Not Lo Pro and I don’t think TT. I don’t think it’s owner did either and it has mudguards...

I doubt it's an Allin then, without images...why would it have a curved seat tube if not for a shorter wheelbase (e.g TTs) ?

Rk.

Hi all,
Just stumbled across this thread whilst doing some research - very interesting reading. I have an Allin (Stan Butler Butler Popular Model), frame number 1421 dating from around 1958. It was a birthday gift from my Grandfather to my Father and has subsequently been gifted to me. My Grandfather and Stan Butler were friends and cycled together back in the day. With the exception of the saddle and bar-tape, everything is original. The groupset is Campagnolo Gran Sport with Coureur Plus brakes. For its age, it's in great condition (some rust and some mild pitting on the top tube) and full working order. I am completely stripping down, servicing, cleaning and rebuilding in a few weeks time. Since this is a machine that holds great nostalgic value, I am also seriously toying with the idea of a complete restoration/respray of the frame, but I am concerned that I would lose the machine's character and never fully match the colours/decals etc. I would be very interested on opinions regarding frame restoration, pros/cons and any recommendations on suitable places capable of undertaking such delicate work were I to have it done. Really in two minds about this currently....
Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions and I will post pictures shortly.

Back