Remove broken dustcap

I'd be tempted to heat up a crank spanner and put it over the bolt (melting the plastic), remove the crank bolt and get a bit more room, you never know the dustcap might come with it :)

Re:

Uh...risky move!
I might end up resorting to heat, but I don't want to end up melting the plastic and have it permanently stick to the aluminium :LOL:

Multitool with a plunge cut would work. Just take a stiff drink beforehand to calm your nerves.

Re: Re:

Ugo51":240azeyk said:
Uh...risky move!
I might end up resorting to heat, but I don't want to end up melting the plastic and have it permanently stick to the aluminium :LOL:
Nah, once it's melted it should be fairly easy to pick the remains out.

I removed a plastic cover by heat & water! Fag lighter to be exact, placed the bike on it's side, then held the lit lighter to melt out the plastic, then threw cold water on the plastic to shrink it quickly, came out far earier with no bashing of tools that would have caused damage in the end.

Or a soldering iron? Melt a small part to allow a pointed instrument to get in and then lever out the rest? No real need to heat the crank.

Re:

I have had this problem myself a few times. Use an Awl with the smallest sharpest point you can find. Jam it into the plastic and unwind it out. it usually comes out as a complete thread. A spray of WD40 before you start helps to ease things.

Re:

I might try again this weekend, but the plastic is so stuck to the aluminium that it certainly does not turn!
I'll try to melt it.

Back