Info sought on 1990s Claud Butler Dalesman

johnlondon1000

Retro Newbie
Hi, I've just bought a second-hand Claud Butler Dalesman and was hoping to get some background information on the bike.
I think it's circa 1992, with a Reynolds 531st frame in British racing green. I'm more familiar with the Dawes Galaxy brand. How does this compare? Any thoughts on ride quality and how it performs touring? Was also wondering how much the bike would have cost new?
I have to say so far I'm delighted with the bike. It's in great condition. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Hello Johnny London,
First off, pictures would help enormously with getting you more information, they would help us narrow down who made it for starters.
The Dalesman was always a good solid tourer and had been around since 1982 when it was introduced by Holdsworth (it was basically a re-badges Claud version of their top of the range Mistral)
After Holdsworth went bust end of 1985, Marlborough bought the leftovers, and continued to sell the Dalesman through ‘86 & ‘87 with really the only change being colour and graphics. By 1988 they'd gone bust and we’re bought out by Falcon, switching production over to Brigg, again largely unchanged frame set but with more modern gear attached. By the mid 90’s production was sent abroad so you could well have one the last steel British made CB Dalesmans...

Re:

Thanks very much for the info and apologies for the lack of pics as I'm not at home for a couple of weeks. This bike that was on sale on eBay is pretty much identical if it helps identification a little. It's the main pic below. I'm new to touring bikes, but the Dalesman seems to ride really well. Just eats up the miles. Lovely to know it was made here in the UK, too.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/clau ... 1285483504

Gumtree add has finished... so no joy there.
Post some pictures when you’ve got a mo...

My Dad had a red Dalesman (after a Blue Mistral), probably circa 89/90. It had pretty low rent SIS shimano gearing with a stronglight crankset. One of the biggest CB/Falcon stockists in the country was local to me, infact I worked there from the mid 90's onwards, selling Dawes too. not much would separate a Galaxy to a Dalesman tbh, infact a lot of the Dawes tourers had really soft steerer tubes, the stem wedges would splay open the steerers, pretty much wrecking the fork & creating an utter headache getting the stem out. Avoid.

Finally got round to posting pics of my bike. First time doing this, so hope they work ....

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 1,659
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 1,638
Nice, looks exactly like the one in the 1992 Catalogue. Have a look for the two letter Shimano date codes that will be stamped on the derailleurs and cranks, first letter will most likely be a P,Q or R (‘91,’92 & ‘93)

Attachments

• 70480890-0150-41C6-BE02-9FB098D74ADC.jpeg
    70480890-0150-41C6-BE02-9FB098D74ADC.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 1,617
Re:

My wife bought a new Regent in '91, very similar frame with lower spec components I think. About 300 quid off the top of my head, still going strong with upgraded components and STIs, just back from a fortnight in France and Belgium on it, been a damned good bike!

Back