Help needed with Kona Lava Dome "hot rod" project

squattingmouse

Retro Newbie
Your help, but not necessarily blessing, is requested.

Having got my hands on a 1991 Kona Lava Dome I'd like to do a hot rod build. By this I mean, where possible, more modern kit but trying to keep the feel of the bike that Joe Murray intended. So a more modern 1x drivetrain, v-brakes on the bake instead of canits and disc up front if...

I can figure out how I'm going to go with the fork. I think it's a 1 1/8 headset which gives me plenty of choice of forks if I can nail down a length. Does anyone know where I can find out about the length of P2 forks? The 1991 catalogue doesn't list that bit of geometry information and I'd be aiming for a for with a simialr or slightly longer length when sagged.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

Hello there,

The 1991 Lava Dome frame has Pre-suspension Corrected Geometry. The original P2 forks would have been 390mm Crown to Axle.

You mentioned fitting a fork with sag, so I assume that you intend to fit Suspension? The frame does indeed have a 1 1/8" Headset, but you will struggle finding a suspension fork that is short enough to come close to the intended Crown to Axle measurement. Perhaps something like a Marzocchi XC 600 is your best option, but fit a short Stem to help liven up the slacker than intended Headtube angle.

Pip

Re:

Thank you. Exactly what I needed. A short stem is almost certainly needed anyway since I broke my humerus a few years ago and struggle with strecthed out bikes.

Back