Compressor advice please

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I'm wearing my welcome out at the LBS, filling station and tyre depot so it's time to get a compressor of my own.
I've no plans to spray with it, just inflate tubeless MTB tyres.
What should I be looking for? All advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Re:

Why mess around with a compressor, just get one of these does both Schrader and Presta valves.. :cool:
Buy a decent one off Amazon for peanuts.... (or grapes in your case) ;)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 301
Re:

Trust me I've pumped myself to a frazel with these, I've tried co2 cartridges and borrowed one of those "air bottles" that you pump up first, all with some success but the problem is often with new tyres.

Thanks for your help though.

PS Grapes are best in liquid form I find. :LOL:

Re:

Good idea, I've never thought of that! Off to the web for research.

Edit They're under 9 quid posted from China. Not shure if they can get air into a tyre quickly enough to force it against the rim but at that price it's worth a punt. Any one used one?

Re: Re:

shedobits":2t59zg4b said:
They're under 9 quid posted from China. Not shure if they can get air into a tyre quickly enough to force it against the rim but at that price it's worth a punt. Any one used one?
Actually, I bought one from Alfuds about 10 years ago still going strong now, my missus used it for a slow puncture on her car for about 3 years... :facepalm: plugs in the cig lighter socket!

shedobits":2t59zg4b said:
Grapes are best in liquid form I find. :LOL:
Agreed.. :p

Re: Re:

Graham_hkr":1slptp09 said:
shedobits":1slptp09 said:
They're under 9 quid posted from China. Not shure if they can get air into a tyre quickly enough to force it against the rim but at that price it's worth a punt. Any one used one?
Actually, I bought one from Alfuds about 10 years ago still going strong now, my missus used it for a slow puncture on her car for about 3 years... :facepalm: plugs in the cig lighter socket!

Cutting the brake pipes was a better option.

Machine mart do some great small compressors. It's amazing what else you can do with one. Gettings old grips off is my favourite. Put blow nozzle under end and twist off, simple as. Also a compressor will do cars and bike tyres without a hernia being involved. I have an air master tiger 24l for the last 10 years. Once your on air you wont go back. Small batch spraying very possible, die grinder very handy, blower good, let alone nailers, Sanders, etc. Jdi imo.

Re:

The plug in, car tyre ones won’t seat a tubeless bead. Don’t provide enough flow.
I use an airshot bottle type, but even that struggles with plus tyres. Resorted to the trick of using an inner tube to seat bead then removing one side to get tube out. Went up no problem with air shot once one side was seated.
For price the airshot was, I’d probably pay extra for a small compressor if buying again. Lots around for about £100. Not very portable though, whereas airshot and track pump get chucked into car for races/trips.

Back