When are old suspension forks beyond repair?

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So the Judy's on my newly acquired bike have large patches of paint that is loose and came off after its first wash in 10 years.

I.e.

Assuming they are magnesium lowers, and there are patches elsewhere where they are bubbling, assume I can't sand smooth and whack some hammering on them?

Re:

No reason you can't prep and paint them. It's how they got their finish originally ;)

I'm sure someone will be along to advise on what the best methods, primer and paint for the job will be.

I'd pull em apart & get them lightly sandblasted that'll get the surface pretty much the same then as ishaw said primer & paint...

Re:

So I shouldn't worry much how tatty or pitted they are?

I have some replacements coming I'm just curious. All my retro suspension has been marzocchi which last forever

Re:

I've read on here (can't find the thread) not to sand blast fork lowers as no matter how careful you are some of the media will find its way inside and remain there just waiting to undo your good work. Hope this helps.

Re:

Yeah thanks. I'd do it by hand.

I've seen plenty done on here but not when the forks have been seriously rough. These have plenty of bubbles and rough patches where magnesium looks like its corroded. Just was curious if there were opinions they'd then be too weak to use.

Thanks all

Re: Re:

shedobits":19fo9b88 said:
I've read on here (can't find the thread) not to sand blast fork lowers as no matter how careful you are some of the media will find its way inside and remain there just waiting to undo your good work. Hope this helps.
Na just gotta clean them out thoroughly & they'll be fine.. :!:

Back