Marin Quad Link (Mount Vision)

Biggee Bottle

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone,

Bit of a newbie on here, just acquired a new (still old skool) 2009 Marin Quad XC 120. Not bad bike however needs some TLC so a complete strip down and rebuild to be carried out, some by me some by LBS.
Have mainly acquired Shimano Deore M series - complete gearing and hydraulic brakes, Mavic crossride wheels.
I am trying to source the quad link lug caps x 8 all are missing and was going to change all the bearing but needs caps to protect the bearing once changed. Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain them please. No joy with Marin dealership :(
Possibly toying with a powder coating complete frame but yet to decide that yet.

Any help much appreciated.

BB....

Re:

i'd look on ebay for rubber bung/blanking grommets which come in various sizes (after measuring the size you need from your frame)

Okay that's not a bad idea, was try to fit a cap as oem over the 10mm nut, looks like a mini top hat. But I could fit a rubber blank under the nut. Would this not compromise the torque setting for the suspension?

Morning Duxuk,

Your a star, Just ordered one to make sure. Quite confident it will as you stated and I have read Whyte parts are interchangeable.
Plus points it comes in different colours, I will definitely let you know the outcome..

Thanks Fuxuk

Finally arrived, need some filing down but fits. Need to buy some M8 thin nylon insert nut as original lock nut to big for screw on cap

Attachments

• 20190516_163259.jpg
    20190516_163259.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 859
As it's seems this project is unfolding. Might make it into a completed rebuild blog.
Will be ordering the other 7 Whyte Cap ( yes I know they're orange) Whyte is the original Marin designer. He has since departed company with Marin however his own bike designs incorporate the same type of suspension.
Next is a complete disassemble and clean and rebuilding with some new parts & some old. Not decided on whether to powdercoat the frame as liking the orange colour..
Any suggestion would be great??

I've loved Jon Whyte designs since my first FS bike, a Marin Rift Zone in early 1997. I've owned 3 of the linkage front fork designs, 2 of which I still have. Just for historical correctness here's a link telling the story of his involvement with the bicycle trade.
https://bikemagic.com/news/jon-whyte-le ... sales.html
ATB sales were the money behind the Whyte brand and still are. Jon Whyte left in 2006 to set up a consultancy business and never owned the brand.
He's been described as the father of full suspension and I think this is a fair description. After all weren't Orange single pivots heavily influenced by the Marin single pivots? My Orange Sub5 was OK but in the small chainring it sucked the rear wheel under you because the pivot was too high. They should have copied the original Rift Zone more closely!

Hmmm hit a bit of a stumbling block, need to purchase some nylon insert lock nut, however they need to be thin/slim type as the caps I have ordered are fitting the quad link housing but would screw down further and be more secure if the lock nut weren't so big.
Not sure if this would be feasible also but doin some searching online any links to thin lock nut would be appreciated.

PS haven't strip the bike down yet going to try this weekend work been keeping for tinkering. Photos to come shortly of before after.

Back