Unemployed :(

makster":1tw52dvo said:
JeRkY":1tw52dvo said:
Just learnt that my company is shelving all development work and concentrating on current product markets...as a development engineer this means bad news for me.

Get ready for deals on some of my bikes when I run out of things to eat :(

(on the other hand the redundancy package should be relativly sizeable...fingers crossed)

Any one need any work doing in the medical devices industry?

Who do you work for Rob an what exactly do you do? I can certainly put the feelers out. Is it the Oxford area that you want/need to work in?
I work for Siemens Healthcare so have a few medical contacts

Very good of you!

Work(ed) for a company called Lombard Medical, as a development engineer working on medical devices (AAA stent grafts, associated delivery systems & fixation systems)

Essentially do everything from GLP testing for vallidation/verification through to prototype/production development. Solidworks being the tool of preference.

Just updated my CV if you want a copy :p

yes, most important is to keep positive and get proactive.

I lost my job a few years back and it was a very depressing and worry time. Things do get better so keep your eyes open, do lots of asking about and networking and apply best you can to as many jobs as possible. Don't rest on your laurels!

jez-4-bikes-max":1317tdiu said:
yes, most important is to keep positive and get proactive.

I lost my job a few years back and it was a very depressing and worry time. Things do get better so keep your eyes open, do lots of asking about and networking and apply best you can to as many jobs as possible. Don't rest on your laurels!

Cheers for the tips, already been on the old monster.com blatting off CV's to anything of interest within range. Tomorrow I'll be calling some contacts and trying to find some leads. In some ways I am fairly lucky, I have a helpfull clause in my contract which means on leaving they have to pay me for 3 months + redundancy settlement.

I also have 2 bases I can look for employment around without the need to relocate (Leeds & Oxford)

I loved this job and liked the people I worked with, but I hold no grudges, If letting me (& all the others) go means they get the product to market in the US (the big market) it will be worth it. I just have that much belief in the product.

Its odd as on the whole the medical industry is relatively clear from the strains and stresses of normal market effects, essentially people always get sick...people are always happy to pay to get better. My company was just a little too new to the market, a little too small and a little too reliant on investors money at a time when investment people are sticking their heads in the sand.

Tis all a shame but hopefuly i'll be back on my feet before long.

Sorry to hear your news Rob. Hopefully you'll get sorted with a new job (and a fat payout) soon :)

hey Jerky, sorry to hear about this, it happened to me 8 years ago and when it did I took some time out, 6 months quality thinking time and used some of the redundancy money to live on, then decided to go self employed. first 12 months were tough as far as people getting to know I was `freelance`, now OK.

You sound like you`ve plenty of experience in your field, ever thought about going self employed ? it might be an avenue worth exploring.

Whatever happens stay positive.

Ive actually been the self employed route (contracting) previously. I enjoyed my time doing it and saw a number of different market areas which was interesting and gave it some variety, however I found the "down time" in between contracts hard to manage. Whilst I was on a contract I was working flat out, and didnt really have enough time to seek out the next in order to have a seamless (ish) run of work. It meant every 3 months or so I would be in a similar situation to the one I am in at the moment albeit for a short time.

To make it work for me I always felt I almost needed to hire a PA...

As for the traveling idea..I had thought about it...If I can get something sorted asap...I may bugger off for a month or two :p

Cheers all for the words of sympathy by the way...your a great bunch!

It sucks because it was a great job (although they didnt pay me enough!) but its not the end of the world, I have been through it before and I came out much better off...heres hoping I can pull the same trick again.... either that or i'll go work as a burger flipper!

Oh and if I respond to any forsale threads at the mo...please tell me to "bugger off you shouldnt be spending at the moment...its for your own good!"...until further notice :(

Back