Joe Waugh year of manufacture?

Re:

Aditional question while waiting for a reply. Does anyone know what a single set of bottle cage mounts means in terms of bike category? i.e a touring bike or race bike? It occured to me that this is my first frame without 2 sets of water bottle mounts... Thank you

Re: Re:

estebe":1qfg550y said:
Aditional question while waiting for a reply. Does anyone know what a single set of bottle cage mounts means in terms of bike category? i.e a touring bike or race bike? It occured to me that this is my first frame without 2 sets of water bottle mounts... Thank you

It doesn't mean anything related to type of frame. If it was built for shop stock it might have just had one set as slightly quicker to build. If it was custom then it is down to the original customer to spec one set or two.

I've got frames of all different categories with random one or two sets of bosses. Some kept the seat tube free from bosses and used the seat tube for a frame fit pump. The seat tube was the std place for pumps before pegs started to appear on the back of head tubes to fit a pump along the top tube - then CO2 cartridges which meant you could do away with a frame fit altogether

Difference in bike type is much more related to frame clearance, geometry, additional braze ons such as mudguard eyes etc

Re:

I see, thank you for your answer. The thing is that I don't think I could fit 28mm tires in the frame, but it has eyelets for mudguards so it's not a full out race frame but not a tourer exactly either so I was wondering. Maybe Dave Yeats will shed some light on the subject... As you can tell I'm rather new to british custom frames and ultimately just trying to decide if the frame is worth a restoration or not...

Re:

No reply from Dave Yeats yet, doubt I'll get one at this point so maybe someone here has more info...

estebe":xegn5cg1 said:
No reply from Dave Yeats yet, doubt I'll get one at this point so maybe someone here has more info...

I think you need to give people a chance to reply before doubting you will get one. I'm sure he has a lot to occupy his life now since his heyday of building frames and pretty sure he doesn't sit with a book of frame numbers waiting to receive and send replies. I've sent emails and messages to massive national household name companies with staff manning dedicated customer service departments who take longer than this to reply.

My 88/89 Joe Waugh was definitely number 4 thousand and something. 126mm rear spacing for 7speed. I think the first Waughs were made in 1983. He retired that year from competitive racing due to an injury. So if it took 6 years to get to 4000, then it probably took 4 to 5 years to get from 4000 to 7000 odd... around 1993/1994?

No MG eyelets on rear drops but had single bottle cage bosses. It was racey and tight angled. No audax bike!

Re:

Thanks for the reply, could very well be 90s...One thing I forgot to mention is that the rear spacing on mine is 126 as well...

estebe":68c1pw5m said:
Thanks for the reply, could very well be 90s...One thing I forgot to mention is that the rear spacing on mine is 126 as well...

Thats odd. 126mm puts it pre 1990/1 unless it was squashed back from 130mm from the previous owners to accommodate a 7 speed group.

Did you fit the headset or was it already fitted? Make/model/year may give a clue.

Back