bought at an auction - can anyone tell me more about them?

disasterbus

Retro Newbie
I bought these three bikes this week, mostly because I've recently retired and enjoy tinkering with bikes in the garage and riding older bikes.

No 1 is easy enough - a Raleigh Equipe 12 sp. It has a label saying made in England. I'm guessing its late 1980's? Not rare or valuable but I quite like it.

No 2 is a bit harder - a 'Shogun Team Issue' - can't find much if anything on line about it. Has some reasonably good components - Shimano 600 groupset etc, Cinelli bars & stem. Planning to keep this one myself and this is the one I'd like to know more about most.

No 3 is an odd one - an 'Azzure DXR'. Pretty low end components, not a great bike but not one I'd heard of either?

Any info on any of these would be much appreciated.

IIRC the Shogun was a precursor to Kinesis launching their own brand.
One of the shops near where i lived (Derby) was banging them out at a bargain price (little more than the cost of groupset/wheels/finishing kit)
Weren't bad bikes, just a little basic/cheap/cheerful.
Think he used to drive over the Belgium to pick them up.

Re:

The Shogun will have been around 95/96, my mate had one. It was one of the first mainstream alternatives to steel and paved the way for shed loads of Taiwanese aluminum frames

Nob":3celwmu4 said:
Keep & renovate the shogun & dump the rest....

Keep the Shogun, and possibly the Raleigh - there is a market for completely-stock low/mid-end bikes (it's nostalgia). Though that frame is about the size of a farm gate, which narrows the market somewhat.

That orange monstrosity is terrible - clean it - flip it.

thanks for the info.

I like the Raleigh, it's a nice, honest old bike and being of a certain age I have nostalgic memories of owning one very similar in my late teens. Sadly it is a bit big for me so it's had a quick service, new handlebar tape and saddle and it will be put up for sale.

The more i tinker with the Shogun, the more I like it. I'll treat it to some new tyres, a good clean and polish and a bit of a service and see how we go with that one. It's light and rides nicely.

I never planned to keep the Azzure, but was intending to give it to my son to take to Uni (I'd rather that got stolen / trashed than his decent MTB), however he turned his nose up at it so it's on eBay and he's taken a £20 lump of junk old MTB sourced from a car boot sale to Uni instead!

Re:

The Shogun was quite a nice frame, quite light and stiff but the alloy forks made it quite harsh. I was given a frame and built it up with 9 speed Tiagra and used it for a while as a winter bike for club runs.

Re:

Can I ask advice on another one please?

An AQUILON, made in France, nothing very unusual except the rear cassette is only 4 speed????
It looks like it is factory built like that, not adapted, but I've not seen one like this before.

I picked this up today from a house clearance.

Anyone know anything about this bike? I'm guessing 1970's?

Cog has dropped off? BITD we removed cogs from our 5-6 freewheels to reduce weight for TT'ing lol

Back