Which brake pads

kalex

Retro Guru
I've got a completely original 91 gt karakoram inferno and I'd like to change both sets of brake pads and would like some positive recommendations please.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I may add that I'm not the lightest either so that doesn't help with stopping.

Don't the kool stop pads squeal as I'm sure I remember years back a few complaints

Squealing is caused by a lack of toe-in and/or slack in the brake arm. The over-complicated and pointless parallel push V-brakes from Shimano screeched even with blocks made of wet spaghetti.

A neat upgrade for post-mount cantis is to fit cartridge holders that take the slim blocks like v-brakes. That saves fiddly realignment of the pad mid-wear.

Avoid Shimano pads- they are incredibly abrasive.

Re: Re:

kalex":tv5w6yj1 said:
I may add that I'm not the lightest either so that doesn't help with stopping.

Don't the kool stop pads squeal as I'm sure I remember years back a few complaints

I use the Kool Stop dual compound pads on my '91 Karakoram Elite. Great stopping power and no squealing at all.

I've used the Ritchey ones mentioned above on several bikes and they are good too, but the Kool Stops are worth the extra money if you are trying to maximise braking, in my opinion.

Re:

Sounds as if I've got a couple of good options to go for thanks.

Just got to have a look at the vibration on the front brake before I do anything yet

hamster":2agmxe1x said:
Squealing is caused by a lack of toe-in and/or slack in the brake arm. The over-complicated and pointless parallel push V-brakes from Shimano screeched even with blocks made of wet spaghetti.

A neat upgrade for post-mount cantis is to fit cartridge holders that take the slim blocks like v-brakes. That saves fiddly realignment of the pad mid-wear.

Avoid Shimano pads- they are incredibly abrasive.

Can incorrect toe cause vibration when used as without looking in to it I presumed it's play in the bosses on the fork mounts

Back