V-brake lever play - is there a way to tighten them up

mezzanine

Retro Guru
The brakes levers in question are the M570 LX V-brake levers like these - https://www.ancastercycle.ca/product/sh ... s-3116.htm

I have one which is in great condition with no movement but the other left hand lever has about 2mm - 3mm of movement when pushing up and down on the silver brake lever. I don't mean the direction you brake with but the vertical movement mine has.

It's coming from the circular join pin above the "H" in the picture that connects the lever to the body. Is this normal and part of the design or is there a way to tighten that area, I see a small spring in the lower part of that pin which moves, I'm not sure?

Thanks, appreciate any help and difficult to describe.

Mezz

I've had brand new Shimano levers with that amount of play in the past. But it's also possible the levers or the body have worn a little. Sorry, I can't be any use re: a fix.

Re:

You should be able to take them apart (usually a grub screw somewhere holding the pivot pin in, or on older or cheaper shimano brakes, a nut). Once off, clean and work out where the play is. If its the pin, then there's not a huge amount you can do aside from replacing it. If its up/down play, you can often slip a very thin washer in the assembly to tune out the play.

Someone on here recently did it with some xtr m970 v brake levers but got new agus bushes to replace the ones in the lever body.

Struggling a bit with this still. Very popular brake, does anyone have an exploded diagram? I don't think the Shimano LX BL-M570 brake levers have grub screw... I may be blind but I can't see anything there. Are the LX BL-M570 lever pivot bolts easy to remove as I have 3 sets and think I should be able to make up one without the play as one is good but it's body is beat up so I plan to use a nicer example (body wise) but it needs a pin that hasn't worn or maybe a new spring.

If it's possible could someone let me know how they got on with the LX bl-m570

Many thanks in advance

Re:

I'd made an assumption that these levers were put together in a similar way to xt m739, xtr m950 and xtr m970 levers.

Just taken a look at a set I have and there isn't the same grub screw that bites into the lever pivot, which can be loosened to allow the pivot to be removed.

The only way I can see to remove the pivot on these levers is to push it out from the underside, assuming its interference fit. I've not tried so cant speak from experience

Looking at the lever and where play may appear (mine are fine, so assumptions being made), it looks tricky to do anything without taking them apart. You could try hooking a circlip around the gap between the lever body and pivot and squeezing the circlip tight/closed if it's not possible to take them apart and fit a thin washer in the gap.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully someone else can advise on how to take these levers apart and dial out the play.

Attachments

• PSX_20190714_002701.jpg
    PSX_20190714_002701.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 199
You can tighten them up at the back if you play Christmas tree rather than 4-4-2.

Back