winking weasel

Retro Guru
up until now ive been happy cruising around on my 752 proflex with ya
standard dx v brakes but recently got given a gt downhill bike with
mechanical disc brakes which is where the problem starts the pads
release fine when the wheel is not in place but put the wheel in and it
the cable just doesnt want to release the pads it seems to stick? any
help would be more than i already know. cheers

A downhill bike with mechanical brakes :shock: I find that a little worrying.
No expert on these, maybe there ok on xc bikes but i wouldn't want them on a DH bike.
You can find good second hand one's cheap enough ;)

Cable discs

What sort? most are only good for the bin! V's and some Canti's are better than cable discs! Buy a set of Juicy Threes or Maguras, a set will be under £100

heathy":2l2w9ygy said:
A downhill bike with mechanical brakes :shock: I find that a little worrying.
No expert on these, maybe there ok on xc bikes but i wouldn't want them on a DH bike.
You can find good second hand one's cheap enough ;)

Should have said second hand hydraulic one's :roll:

Re: Cable discs

Wold Ranger":plflgo72 said:
What sort? most are only good for the bin! V's and some Canti's are better than cable discs! Buy a set of Juicy Threes or Maguras, a set will be under £100

Why? My cable disks work very well with the 203mm disks, much better than V's.

Cable discs

Always found them very heavy with no modulation/not much power and fade terribly on long/steep downhills. V's a lot lighter and sharper with good modulation. I do run Formula 1s and Shimano XTR's hydro's on my modern tho' :D

Wold Ranger

Think you can pick Shimano Deore Hydros for £35 each end and to be fair although they are not that popular or trendy as others, they are as good as anything out there and I know a lot of lads who bought them as part of a bike package with the idea of swapping them and would never change to anything else now.

Re: Wold Ranger

Wold Ranger":ygugove2 said:
Think you can pick Shimano Deore Hydros for £35 each end and to be fair although they are not that popular or trendy as others, they are as good as anything out there and I know a lot of lads who bought them as part of a bike package with the idea of swapping them and would never change to anything else now.

i normally run xt discs but used deore for a while on a play bike, it has gotta be said they are blindng for the money good feel really easy to set up and zero fade even when pushing it hard i just cant complain :cool: :D

Back