Bikes on planes.......

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
Does anyone know how much extra it costs? I'm flying from Southampton or Gatwick to Aberdeen. I'm dubious about using a bike box aswell, anyone know any good bike bags? Your help will be much appreciated......

Really depends who you fly with. From nowt to IIRC about £20 each way with ryanair. Also you can hire bike cases from some retailers. I've got my own case but it cost a couple of hundred quid :eek: . Again depands how much faith you put in baggage handlers. Some people swear by a couple of bits of cardboard.

May sound daft, but is it a one-way trip John 'o Groats to Lands End?? if so a colleague did this last year and just posted his bike up (with parcel farce I think) to the hotel he was staying at. Perhaps worth a though//

I have send bikes in a large plasma box various places, a 50" screen box will fit a whole bike in have to remove wheels and bars,A bit of bubble wrap and the foam corners for the screen work well inside. Also plasma box will be labled up fagile naturally. Even has carry cut outs ;)

Maybe local currys etc should have some.

I've flown with a bike a couple of times. Take time to wrap it up properly. Remove pedals (or turn inside out), turn bars parallel with top tube etc.

Personally, I'd use a cardboard bike box with a well packaged bike over a bike bag in the hold.

If bringing it back the same way, chuck a roll of tape and spare bubble wrap in the box for the return journey.

Costs vary with airlines. The care they take will vary a lot.

Train is a good option if you have the time and a precious about your bike. Plus, it's a much better view.

after mucho flying with bikes I'd vastly prefer a bike box over a bag.
i've got a few teepee bike bags & they're ok

I used a box a friend lent me for my trip to the Alps and was disappointed by the limited space compared to a bag, a bag will expand a bit, where as a box won't.

I did watch the handlers @ Bristol airport drop it off the flat bed trailers they use to bring baggage out with, wasn't pretty :roll:

I'm driving next year ;)

bikes on a plane?

'I'm sick of the motherf**king bikes on the motherf**king plane'

sorry couldnt resist :roll:
Jamie

heathy":3r0yhoq6 said:
I used a box a friend lent me for my trip to the Alps and was disappointed by the limited space compared to a bag, a bag will expand a bit, where as a box won't.

I did watch the handlers @ Bristol airport drop it off the flat bed trailers they use to bring baggage out with, wasn't pretty :roll:

I'm driving next year ;)

a box doesnt have any straps to get caught on the back of the luggage mobile thing & get dragged 1/2across the runway... yeh i've seen that happen too ;)

also driving to the alps next time.. well not me personally, i'll be asleep in the back ;) .. can bring more bikes when u drive :D

Back