Klein Quantum II 'Barn Find' Commuter Hack

The inevitable "I wonder what this colour tape and saddle will look like?" switcheroo occurred last night:

53584779_397889581028701_2930898489312300688_n.jpg

Now to find an original Flite saddle in white (damn idiot for selling the NOS one I had before!); and a nicer seatpost...

It's also currently wearing a set of interim wheels whilst the original 600 hubs are being rebuilt into a set of 30mm silver Tubeless Kinlin rims to minimise puncture risk on the commute. This gave me a chance to check tyre clearance - those are 28c Compass Chinook Pass, which fit easily with room to spare.

On wide rims with wide tyres, this thing is gonna ride *so* nicely!

Would it be wrong to put my 12spd Campag kit on it?...

Looking good! though i think i would have gone for a black saddle to go with the white tape.
Or maybe i'm just scarred from constanly scrubbing my old selle san marco concor, trying to keep it nice and white... ;) :mrgreen:

Are the new kinlin rims you are getting the same ones Hunt are using on the Sprint aero wide, with the 19c inner width?
when i mounted my 25mm corsa g+ on them, they came out at 28mm, so i suspect 28mm tires will end up around 30mm - i hope you have the clearance! :shock:

roymund":tdr6d3x0 said:
If you do end up wanting to sell this please let me know!

What size is the frames?
I wouldn't say I necessarily want to sell it, but everything's for sale at the right price...! It's a 59cm.

bjarnetv":tdr6d3x0 said:
Looking good! though i think i would have gone for a black saddle to go with the white tape.
Or maybe i'm just scarred from constanly scrubbing my old selle san marco concor, trying to keep it nice and white... ;) :mrgreen:
I hear you! Although actually I just scored a Flite Evo off of eBay, so that black tape & white saddle solution might come sooner than I had considered anyway! :cool:

I wish I'd never sold the Evo2 I had on my Merckx as there never would have been any doubt to my approach then!

bjarnetv":tdr6d3x0 said:
Are the new kinlin rims you are getting the same ones Hunt are using on the Sprint aero wide, with the 19c inner width?
when i mounted my 25mm corsa g+ on them, they came out at 28mm, so i suspect 28mm tires will end up around 30mm - i hope you have the clearance! :shock:
They are, yes - although I only plan to run 25s on those so the clearance should still be fine.

Rich-Ti":1188of8j said:
I wouldn't say I necessarily want to sell it, but everything's for sale at the right price...! .

It's my size! Let me think up an offer, let me know if there is something in particular you are after or if you do come to sell

All I can suggest is that it won’t be a cheap buy; and bear in mind that it’ll need to be shipped from Australia!

Frameset with BB & headset might be the best solution... if I do decide to let it go...

Brilliant find - there can't be many about in that condition.

How fat are those seat stays!! Must really stiffen the back end. I really like the fork aesthetic going on... in the pics it could pass for steel.

The Tricolour 600 group, IMHO, was Shimano getting everything just right: the bits of chroming on the finish; the colouring and the way it just worked so flippin' well. I've currently got my 600 on a Venom Lo Pro but it's way too scary to ride in any normal sense so thinking of transferring it to a Mike Kowal.

Nice work.

I also went through my barn and found this.....right at the back, under some dust sheets...

since it has done ...let me think...zero miles for the last decade, it needs to go to some home where it will actually get ridden....

1685449195759.png

Fantastic color still! Awesome find. ...do not butcher it with some commuter shit.

Here is one of mine. 1993 Gator linear fade Quantum II. Still almost NOS, when I bought it for 350 Euros from Denmark. *lol* Just a wall hanger for me though. Too nice to ride!

1993 KLEIN Quantum II Gator Linear Fade Falko Schlötel Germany.jpeg

Back