Hei Hei/// SOLD//:

Re: Kona Hei Hei

repair? do not
I believe it.
the frame is perfect.
You are confused.
newsboy can tell you, he was previously his owner.

Attachments

• B4DC9D0F-6FF9-4B6C-8492-6F5C937E85E6.jpeg
    B4DC9D0F-6FF9-4B6C-8492-6F5C937E85E6.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 305

F.R.O.":nh5gvv07 said:
repair? do not
I believe it.
the frame is perfect.
You are confused.
newsboy can tell you, he was previously his owner.

:? yes, i am confused, why would someone cut the top of the seattube off of a perfectly sound frame?

Mark

Re:

I believe that the explanation is that this is a 1995 frame that features the flatter Top Tube with short Seat Tube Extension.

The Rhomboid of the front and rear triangle appear to show the Down Tube parallel with the Seat Stay along with a parallel Top Tube and Chain Stay. This is only possible with a 17” Hei Hei frame with the flatter Top Tube. If the frame were the more common Geometry of Slopping Top Tube with longer Seat Tube extension, then the Rhomboid would only be parallel with an 18” frame.

I will stand corrected if I saw the removed material from the Seat Tube, but I would say that everything else points to this being a 17” 1995 Hei Hei that has the Flatter Top Tube design and is fitted with replica Decals.

Pip

Re: Re:

pipmeister":29ef8l4w said:
I believe that the explanation is that this is a 1995 frame that features the flatter Top Tube with short Seat Tube Extension.

The Rhomboid of the front and rear triangle appear to show the Down Tube parallel with the Seat Stay along with a parallel Top Tube and Chain Stay. This is only possible with a 17” Hei Hei frame with the flatter Top Tube. If the frame were the more common Geometry of Slopping Top Tube with longer Seat Tube extension, then the Rhomboid would only be parallel with an 18” frame.

I will stand corrected if I saw the removed material from the Seat Tube, but I would say that everything else points to this being a 17” 1995 Hei Hei that has the Flatter Top Tube design and is fitted with replica Decals.

Pip

:) now that makes more sense, apart from the Rhumba part :LOL:

The only thing that still doesnt seem right though, is the slit and hole in the seat tube. Even if it had the correct dog collar fitted it would still be too close or covering the hole, where as on frames with the short seat tube extension the hole is way above the collar.

mkone":3gy0ceyw said:
The only thing that still doesnt seem right though, is the slit and hole in the seat tube. Even if it had the correct dog collar fitted it would still be too close or covering the hole, where as on frames with the short seat tube extension the hole is way above the collar.
Thank you Mark, a point well made – I’m standing by to eat my words :LOL:

I don’t have a good close up of the Seat Tube slot on a 1995 Hei Hei frame, but here is a picture of a 1995 Hei Hei, so perhaps we can judge if the Seat Tube extension is the same length as the frame for sale.

95 Hei Hei 19 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

RB Hei Hei Sale_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

here you go..

Thought though, that even if it was originaly a longer seat tube that the original hole would still be visable, So looking more like it is originaly that low.

Either way, it still leaves the question as to why, if the diameter of the tube hasnt changed, is the shim in the frame? I have seen similar on frames that have had repairs, hence my curiosity.

Mark

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 279
Re:

Mmm curiouser and curiouser.

The best that I can do is a picture of a 1996 King Kahuna that has the same front triangle as a 1995 Hei Hei with the flatter Top Tube.

I would say that the slot and hole is in the same position on both frames, so I currently maintain that the frame for sale is an unmodified 17" 1995 Hei Hei.

Maybe your example looks different as it is a 19" frame?

The picture also shows the Alloy sleeve that I referred to in my first post. These sleeves are on all four of my Kona Titanium frames.

1996 KK 16_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

RB Hei Hei Sale_2 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Well, based on your last post i had to go up and check my '96 Hei Hei, mine has the shim too :facepalm: :LOL: thats that one sorted then.

I did though work out that if you cut the seat tube off on my frame at the hole, you could fit another slit and hole the same length in the remainder of tube, just to keep the intrigue alive :)

Mark

interesting publications.

If so, I'm glad that the frame is uncut, maybe a frame not so usual to see?

I always thought that the length was reduced!

this is good. ;)

Latest posts

Back