Hilary Stone problems beware

Hilary Stone is fine until something goes wrong and then he's a nightmare to deal with. What's happening to deanthebean is exactly what happened to me some years ago. He'd miss-advertised a product (no big deal - it happens) but it proved impossible to get a refund. Somebody on LFGSS gave me his home phone number which I dialled and then had to endure a shouting match down the phone before he slamed it down on me. He did though, shortly after that, refund me. But I will never go near him again.

Re:

Thanks Dyna-ti I spoke with him today and he's promised to pay my money back now but I'll keep an eye on it, I think I have some recourse through the online bank transfer so I'll go that route if needs be. I know the wagons get drawn round and people don't like any negatives in forums but Ive got better things to do that chase up a dealer who I paid in good faith and I just wanted other people to beware. Thanks for your comments I think they are spot on.

Good luck, I hope you get your money back. It sounds like you will and in exactly the same circumstances as me! I hope your phonecall to him was more pleasant than mine!!!

Wow, it's amazing that a trader like Hilary with no doubt thousands of successful transactions can be hung up publicly on one side of a story :-(

originalshinkicker":2eachhg5 said:
Wow, it's amazing that a trader like Hilary with no doubt thousands of successful transactions can be hung up publicly on one side of a story :-(

Hold on there chief :? Nobody has cut up anybody. In fact most of the replies are positives in favour of him. But fact remains OP has a prob. And this has been confirmed that there are problems with this seller as the other experiences point out.

What I've said, and i reiterate, is be aware, given these reports.

Should he wish to come and explain the reason, or do so with the private buyer, so be it and fine and dandy. But there could be a whole host or no reason at all, so if you want to buy from him, its again pointing to the be aware, which I deliberately used rather than beware, as the connotations are different.

Nobody can afford to throw money away and should never because the seller is difficult. The onus on transparency is with the seller, not the buyer.

dyna-ti":29duu4gk said:
originalshinkicker":29duu4gk said:

Hold on there chief :? Nobody has cut up anybody. In fact most of the replies are positives in favour of him. But fact remains OP has a prob. And this has been confirmed that there are problems with this seller as the other experiences point out.

What I've said, and i reiterate, is be aware, given these reports.

Should he wish to come and explain the reason, or do so with the private buyer, so be it and fine and dandy. But there could be a whole host or no reason at all, so if you want to buy from him, its again pointing to the be aware, which I deliberately used rather than beware, as the connotations are different.

Nobody can afford to throw money away and should never because the seller is difficult. The onus on transparency is with the seller, not the buyer.

"Hold on there chief"?

Seems like the 'issue' is on the way to being sorted via a phone call which is the sensible course of action to take rather than public flaming for a seller who has, as you have said, has lots of positive feedback.

Bought some bits and bats and catalogues from Hilary, I initially got annoyed with his response time/out of stock but advertised on web site etc etc. Then I rembered I wasn’t dealing with John Lewis and got over myself.....

I bought some ma2 rims from him that were advertised as perfect condition and certainly looked it from the pictures. What arrived were old and battered and didn't even have the same decals as the ones advertised.

I sent them back tracked delivery asking for a refund or for the advertised rims to be supplied.

Nothing ever came back, no rims, no refund. I'll never buy anything from him again

Re:

Sadly, I am not disposed to purchase from Hilary Stone again. And this after numerous transactions over many years including framesets.

I purchased a bottom bracket that arrived with completely stripped threads. I contacted him to let him know and he promptly replied he would refund my money. After several months, I e-mailed him to remind him I hadn't received the refund. No reply. And no refund to date.

We all make mistakes and being in business and taking money doesn't make one immune from making them. But it does obligate some consistency of service and responsive to customers. Sadly, hobby oriented businesses are often lacking in this. I am just sorry Hilary Stone appears to be one of them at present.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Re: Hillary stone

Hi.
Paid for a frame from Hillary about four / five days ago and it arrived today.Couple of small dings but it dates from around 1937 so to be expected. He does warn you in his terms of trade and you really need to read them before buying. I am happy enough but then I bought it to restore so I was not expecting a pristine frame.It is sound enough so that is good enough to start from. Sorry to read of so many problems but just thought I would add my very recent experience in.
Peter Baines ( and yes it is a Baines ecolite so just had to have it .Not related but if having your name on the headbadge and downtube isnt cool then I dont know what is )
regards
Peter

Back