My 1992 Dave Yates Diablo

Halfprice

Dirt Disciple
New to the forum so I thought I would share this with you all.
I am thinking of putting the P2 forks back on along with the original DX cantis. I also have a Bromwich cyclone requiring a major overhaul & respray when time and money allow.

Attachments

• Dave Yates 1.JPG
    Dave Yates 1.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 5,764
Cool - join the Diabolo club :twisted: Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine's 22.11.1994 (can be specific as I emailed Dave Yates himself to ask! See my previous thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5272)

Haven't got round to getting new photo since I added front suspension. I went for a ride on it with the original P2's and it was just too hard on my arms!

What tubing is your one made of and what dimensions? Mine's Columbus Cromor and 21.5 seat tube, 24 top tube. Quite big! Yours looks smaller?

Attachments

• mini-Dave Yates Diabolo 001.jpg
    mini-Dave Yates Diabolo 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5,750
Hi I have just had to go out to the garage to check but mines Columbus Cromor OR. 18" - it ws one of Dave's Off the peg frames.
I have knackered the handling by putting the MX comps on the front - it was never designed to have such a high fork plugged in. It is currently being used as a tug for my kid's tag along - I have adjusted the handling slightly by running a smaller tyre on the front than on the rear. You cant see from the photo but the front shifter is an original friction Shimano Deore DX. The riser bars have been added to ease my back as I found the flatbars I one ran too low and killed my back. I am currently torn between ditching the MX comps and going back to the P2s with maybe a flex stem and having it as a winter hack bike or keeping the MX comps (£200 is a lot of fork to be left sitting around the shed)

I found the flat bars too low too (and too hard on my shoulders/back!), but I get that with most bikes being very lanky so I have fitted some 2001 Z3 Bombers (80mm travel) and hi-rise bars and the front end is nice and high now :D

Going out on my first proper ride tomorrow since upgrading various parts. Can't wait to feel what it's like.

I'll post some photos when I get the chance. Nice to see another one here anyway!

PS I use my Proflex 857 to drag my kids along on their trailerbike!!

orange71":34f390tu said:
I added front suspension. I went for a ride on it with the original P2's and it was just too hard on my arms!

:cry: I ride only with rigid forks on my mountainbikes,
the suspension I need comes from a wider tire(26x2.25)
and a little less pressure!

Nice bike!

You guys keep reminding me of bikes I'd love to own....grrrrrrr!

Stu

Can I join your Dave Yates club? just scored the one on evilbay.....early xmas pressie, think I'm gonna be in trouble for buying yet another bike though :oops:

Stu

Now i know why you did't want the Orange - The DY is a much more classy ride - welcome to the club -
You gonna post us a pic? :cool:
& they way to owning and keeping many bikes is every time you buy one the other half has to be allowed an equally wallet emptying excursion (I bet she already has more shoes than she can possibly ever need- see argument won!) just be econonomic with the truth to keep her "equal" purchase in check - better still let her have her purchase first and subitially encourage her to spend slightly more than she intended (as of they need any excuse) and then whilst she is still feeling guilty quickly make your purchase.......

Well, I haven't had to move out to the shed yet so everything is cool :D

Would love to have the Orange too but I think I would be in real trouble then!

I'm gonna pick the bike up Saturday so I'll post some pictures once home, may have to change the stem though, looks like a Club Roost or something.......need another Salsa in 1" ahead flavour so if anyone has anything that will fit the bill LMK, I have a 1&1/8" that will work with one of those shim thingys but are they any good?

Cheers
Stu

Back