Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:18 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm about to build some wheels using FIR ST120 rims, whuch were going very cheap on the Bay of Thieves. Thinking about Vredestein Fortezza Pro, since I've never had an on-road puncture in 15 years of riding the clincher kind. Whatever the PRS layer is, it seems to work as I had two glass flats (it's a bit chavvy round here and smashing bottles on psyclepaths is regarded as entertainment) on Conti Ultra HamsterSkins in a mere fortnight over the same commute.

Is it true you're not allowed to use them on a track if you've used non-hardening road glue rather than shellac? I know tracks don't like tub tape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I was on ebay last month to look for NOS rims/hubs to build a set of tubulars for my '84 Univega Gran Rally and I hit the jackpot. Some guy was selling a set with GP4 rims and Suzie sealed bearing hubs that he built up 35 years ago and never used so they were brand new and still perfectly trued. He had them listed in the wrong section for $100 and I bought them on the spot. Mounted some Vredstein Freccia Pro's I already had and it completely transformed the bike.

Sorry for being the worst picture taker in human history, the bike is stunning in person. I actually bought it two years ago from the original owner in the Arizona desert who never took it on the road once. It had been clamped to an indoor trainer since 1984. Has a 6207 group, and I put on a Sunrace freewheel with ramped teeth that improved the shifting 100x.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:04 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Indoors in Arizona? rust not a problem then? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

PeachyPM wrote:
Indoors in Arizona? rust not a problem then? :lol:

That was the best part, it looked like it was in a time capsule :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:53 am 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

He obviously didn't work very hard on the trainer then - it's worse for the bike than UK road salt ... :lol:

Nice bike by the way 8)

WD :D

Last edited by WD Pro on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I will be buying some new tires soon, and I was looking at the Specialized Espoir Tubular. Reason being is they are only $40US and look like clones of the discontinued Vredstein's I have now. Same specs and even the same dark brown sidewall (the pic on their website is not the actual tire).

Then I saw the SW Turbo Tubular AllRound is only $50 with a latex tube, 290tpi and only 270g. BUT the S-Works Turbo Allround 2 is $100 and is the same TPI but a little heavier. Besides the tread I can see no difference or reason for a $50 difference. Does anyone happen to know?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 622-155882

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sw-tu ... 504-156144

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/espoi ... 332-156545

And this ebay seller has these but I'm not sure exactly what model they are. Looks to possibly be the Allround 2 and they're only $45.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312530351553?V ... 2530351553

I'm basically trying to decide which to get, I don't think I'll get the Espoirs now.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 pm 
Retro Guru

I've only ridden the tubs on Calshot velodrome (except a few - ahem - brakeless runs up and down the local cycle path to test them first), but they were very, very fast. The best thing is that you can stick absolutely stupid pressures in them for track use, where road surface and comfort are not factors. I ran them at 180psi,which is all my track pump can manage, but they will take more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33