Bling bling Raleigh Record Sprint

Retro Spud":3i7u935f said:
Can I ask an general question- why are the touring brake lever extensions referred to above as suicide lever?
They made great sence when I had a Raleigh Winner and a paper round - you never see them these days so the design must be flawed - but I loved them. My brother had a Competion with Modolo brakes and used to scoff at my weimanns

Nice save by the way -

Just by design they're a bit shite.....play in the linkages, flex in the material, they just don't pull the bike up well at speed. Maybe ok for scrubbing off a bit of a speed, or stopping at slower speeds......but generally a bit poo.

sherlylock":2cp8uibo said:
Retro Spud":2cp8uibo said:
Can I ask an general question- why are the touring brake lever extensions referred to above as suicide lever?
They made great sence when I had a Raleigh Winner and a paper round - you never see them these days so the design must be flawed - but I loved them. My brother had a Competion with Modolo brakes and used to scoff at my weimanns

Nice save by the way -

Just by design they're a bit shite.....play in the linkages, flex in the material, they just don't pull the bike up well at speed. Maybe ok for scrubbing off a bit of a speed, or stopping at slower speeds......but generally a bit poo.

I agree they are of no use in an emergency and are pretty poor at speed, but I think they do help with light breaking & on a touring bike you may as well have them just for comfort. I’m keeping them on my sons current project, his CB Cavalier, his first touring bike and I’m going to retro fit a pair to my Majestic for the same reason (comfort)

Ahhh......the excitement of finding those hard to find parts for sale that you never thought you'd find.....

Browsing facebook marketplace and I spotted an ad for a 1984 Raleigh Quasar which had been converted to a fixie and had been resprayed. Included in the sale were the original components......the wheels of which happened to be the same as the RRS - black concave Weinmann Rims and black Malliard hubs...the rear being the slightly quirky helicomatic. A couple of messages back and forth with the seller and I arranged to buy the wheels for £20

aRC7m2pl.jpg

rBervdJl.jpg

lT6jieXl.jpg

They need a fair bit of work to make nice again.....a few dinks and scuffs - but generally straight and usable. I think they'll clean up nicely.

So chuffed to have found them......bike is mainly back to original spec now.....albeit a mix of components fitted to various years of the RRS.

Also fitted - a black suede turbo re-issue - recently on offer at Planet-X bikes for £21 and cloth tressorex handlebar tape. Hopefully with a bit of effort tomorrow I'll be riding it to work next week.

Needs some tyres now......question is black or amberwall?

DK0DcNfl.jpg

Re: Re:

jimo746":1cid3j2j said:
Nearly there :)
I'd probably go for black tyres.

I've got some black 700c tyres in the shed so I'll try them first.

Tempted to go for gold outer cables too - just seen that Jagwire sell gold cables on eBay.......

Gold jags should be just the job.
And I fancy amber walls, I reckon they would sit well with the gold.

Nice finding those rims, I’ve never set out on a catalogue correct hunt specifically, but there’s nothing quite like it when you find the right parts!

PeachyPM":37vz4367 said:
Gold jags should be just the job.
And I fancy amber walls, I reckon they would sit well with the gold.

Nice finding those rims, I’ve never set out on a catalogue correct hunt specifically, but there’s nothing quite like it when you find the right parts!

Ordered the Jagwire cables......and these too. Now wondering if there's such a thing as too much gold.......?

8zQRSzVl.jpg

I've done a few catalogue spec rebuilds - quite enjoyable hunting down all the correct parts - but I had absolutely no intention of doing so on this particular build.....it just all sort of dropped into my lap.

Hopefully going to ride it in to work tomorrow all being well.

Also......I think it needs a black stem (as per later RRS models). Seen examples online and think it looks great.

Black Rolls saddle would look good with the gold rails and badges. I do like the old RRS nice to see this one getting some love. Personally I'd go for gum wall tyres for that retro look.

sherlylock":33zwr0xy said:
Ordered the Jagwire cables......and these too. Now wondering if there's such a thing as too much gold.......?
nope..... :cool:

Tel":2v814bk8 said:
Black Rolls saddle would look good with the gold rails and badges. I do like the old RRS nice to see this one getting some love. Personally I'd go for gum wall tyres for that retro look.

Yep - currently got it sat on some amberwalls that I also had lurking in the shed.....some Schwalbe Luganos. It does look good on them.

PeachyPM":2v814bk8 said:
sherlylock":2v814bk8 said:
nope..... :cool:

Didn't think so! Hopefully the Jagwire cable will arrive tomorrow and by the weekend we'll be at peak-gold.

Back